lifter noise

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Rain Man
Bikes: 1965 FL, 1983 FLH, 2010 electra glide

lifter noise

Post by Rain Man »

We're working on a just built pan motor. It has STD cases and heads, SandS fly Wheels, and a BH grind cam. we are attempting to run hydralics in it. when we fire it up it purrs like a kitten (a big kitten). but when you run it down the road for five minutes, the lifters start clattering. You have to shut it down, let it cool off, then she's quiet again. This is the second set of new lifters. Same thing. We are running aluminum push rods ( I know, but its what we have). I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions? Ray
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: lifter noise

Post by Bosheff »

Are all the lifters loosin their adjustment or perhaps just the front exhaust?....bosheff
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Are the lifters installed correctly in the blocks with the oil holes facing correctly?
Robbie
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

are the blocks themselves correct? oil passages?

how about the gaskets under them? oil holes lines up?

what oil pump are you running?

john
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

Are you sure about the direction of your roller tappets? (Question has already been asked, I didn't see it!) Do you have any solids to try?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I agree with everybodys POV!----All are inportant----I also would like to add the oil pressure regulating valve! The check-valve , the feed part of pump is run automaticaly by a by-pass valve-it reduces feed at lower rpm/& increases at higher rpm, this output can be adj. by regulating valve-it has a check-ball & spring. I suspect you arent having any FEED problems! CAPTMIKE had a good idea with solids to try/assuming the all important lifter-blocks are correct as stated in an earlier post by FLATHEAD6 I believe! ALL HOLES & GASKETS MUST LINE-UP! The reason I truly believe it might be 1 of those problems is -your HYDs. are bleeding out of oil & not resupplied! Just my 2-(good-luck as always)---58flh
Rain Man
Bikes: 1965 FL, 1983 FLH, 2010 electra glide

Post by Rain Man »

Thanks for the suggestions. come to think of it we did switch the blocks. I'm going to try sticking the solids back in, and check the rest while I take it apart. We ran this same set-up (aside from the blocks) for about a month, before the rebuild, and it worked just fine. If the thing clattered right out of the gate, I would lean more toward a blocked passage. The trouble is, it takes 5 minutes. More like the oil is bleeding off after it warms up. I'll keep looking. the varment can't hide for ever. Ray
joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1986 Heritage Softail

Post by joe »

I had the exact same problem. Take the lifters out and use a can of brake cleaner (elec, contact cleaner, etc) with the the red tube on the nozzle and spray up inside (from the bottom) to completely clean the oil out. You may find (as I did) that at least one of the check ball retainers comes out with the check ball. My only lifter that failed was an ebay aftermarket (China probably) and was brand new.

Joe

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”