boring sleeved cylinders

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
JOHNSON
Inactive member
Bikes: 50FL-59FLH

boring sleeved cylinders

Post by JOHNSON »

just wondering ,what the max boring can you go on the sleeves safely,i'll have to go .020 over,should be no probs, i hope....JR...this is a stock 74 cylinders.,with a lot of miles ....thanks
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: boring sleeved cylinders

Post by Cotten »

Johnson!

The critical aspects rest entirely upon the attentiveness to detail of the installer of the sleeves.
Your success with future installations rely not only upon the techniques of the present machinist, but the installer as well: Sleeved cylinders distort from fastener stress as any huge bore, but in a more squirrely fashion.
The solution is simple, and used from the beginning of American motorcycles: stress plates, or "torque plates".

A search of the Knowledge Base should bring up several discussions with insights.

Good luck!

...Cotten
JOHNSON
Inactive member

Post by JOHNSON »

thanks cotten,i've check out the knowledge base,also search,the sleeves must been put in a long time ago,befor me,they have not moved,just wondering how far can you go on safely boring the sleeved cylinders,not sure the thickness of the sleeves from the get go. thanks....jr.....
Cotten wrote:Johnson!

The critical aspects rest entirely upon the attentiveness to detail of the installer of the sleeves.
Your success with future installations rely not only upon the techniques of the present machinist, but the installer as well: Sleeved cylinders distort from fastener stress as any huge bore, but in a more squirrely fashion.
The solution is simple, and used from the beginning of American motorcycles: stress plates, or "torque plates".

A search of the Knowledge Base should bring up several discussions with insights.

Good luck!

...Cotten
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Johnson!

Can you see the seam between the sleeve and the outside of the spigot?

....Cotten
JOHNSON
Inactive member

Post by JOHNSON »

cotten,to be honest with ya,i clean them up with solvent,i'd not see them,but my machine shop freind did,after he clean it for measuring the bore,i should of seen them,how many .010 pan cylinders are around,but never seen a sleeved pan cylinder,there still flush,have not moved,but my friend is concernd about boring them. have you seen one come loose before? will boring loosin the sleeve you think.thats whats he's worryed about.thank you for your time cotten,.....jr

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”