Pushrods

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Pushrods

Post by Hauula Pan »

Aloha, ever since I had my motor rebuilt & the machinist replaced my old modified stock pushrods with a set of aluminum pushrods, (without telling me) I've had issues with keeping them properly adjusted & with the bike being difficult to start when its warm. (usually starts ok cold but not always). I've noticed that if I set them with very little finger drag like I used to do my old ones the bike is easier to start, but once everything is warmed up they're so loose I'm afraid they'll fall out. When I set them tighter to where it takes 2 fingers to turn them the bike sounds better when warmed up but it becomes hard to start. I've read several posts on this issue & decided the best solution would be just go back to steel pushrods but the problem is I can't find any. There are some lifter & pushrod kits that come with steel pushrods but I can't find anyone that sells just the pushrods. I'd really like to find an old hyd. set like I had, (mine were modified to run with my solid lifters - they were gutted & the ball end brazed back on) but any steel set would be fine. So can anyone tell me where some steel pushrods might be obtained?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Pushrods

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Hauula Pan wrote: the best solution would be just go back to steel pushrods but the problem is I can't find any.
absolutely! keep looking, the solid steel are available and I'm sure somebody can tell you where to find them.

mike
kevock1950
Bikes: 1950 Panhead chopper
1977 Shovelhead custom

Post by kevock1950 »

I got mine off of eBay...keep looking you'll find a set.
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

Post by panbagger »

I think you can get them from S&S, you'll have to look on there site. Scott
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

didn't mike make a steel set using the ends from a set of colony aluminum rods?

john
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

john HD wrote:didn't mike make a steel set using the ends from a set of colony aluminum rods?

john
John,
Mike (mbskeam) is making steel pushrods, and I think he has generously offered some for sale here on the site. We will have to wait for him to jump in here and reply.

I did the exact same thing with the original "oil-can" hydraulic push rods on my '49, welded them up and made them solid (but one collapsed, I'm not a good welder). I have a set of aluminum solid rods in it now and the problems are exactly as everyone has experienced, they are hard to get adjusted right, but they are still better than the original oil-cans. I probably will buy a set from Mike if he is still making them.

mike
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

FlatHeadSix wrote:
john HD wrote:didn't mike make a steel set using the ends from a set of colony aluminum rods?

john
John,
Mike (mbskeam) is making steel pushrods, and I think he has generously offered some for sale here on the site. We will have to wait for him to jump in here and reply.

I did the exact same thing with the original "oil-can" hydraulic push rods on my '49, welded them up and made them solid (but one collapsed, I'm not a good welder). I have a set of aluminum solid rods in it now and the problems are exactly as everyone has experienced, they are hard to get adjusted right, but they are still better than the original oil-cans. I probably will buy a set from Mike if he is still making them.

mike
That's something I might be interested in.. Are they built for solid lifters?
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

I got my NOS pushrods from nosparts.com

Check out this link. $33 each.

http://www.nosparts.com/

PS: There was a bit of surface rust, but they cleaned up real nice with my wire bruch wheel.
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Sorry, forgot to mention that these are STEEL pushrods.

http://www.nosparts.com
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Thanks to Steve & Scott, the NOS are adjustable for hyd. lifters & are for 1953 - 65 I found the ones from S&S they're solid steel for solid lifters SKU# 93-505 & cost $74.95 of course if Mike is still making & selling some I'd be happy to buy from him if they cost less than the ones from S&S.
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

After reading this I thought, "Hummm, My new ones are Aluminum and I think the old ones in the Coke Crate have Rust". So I dug in the Coke Crate and found a set of steel. If my steel ones clean up, I'll use them. I don't know how many buy misc stuff from McMaster-Carr but I'm darn sure without looking that they have the correct size steel tubing in shorter lengths. I need to place an order for wheels bearings right now.

http://www.mcmaster.com
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Mike:

How have I survived without this weblink so far? Thanks. It's my new favorite.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”