Oil leak and cam question

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
tickface

Oil leak and cam question

Post by tickface »

1951 with shovel top end, trying to locate a leak that pools oil above cam chest, tried new tappet gaskets, not leaking from cylinder base and no leak from timer. I've heard of cases becoming porous with age, do you think the spot on the case that looks chipped could allow oil to get thru?

Also noticed a few marks on the cam, you can't feel them when you touch the cam, just thought it was strange for them to be there?

As always any input is greatly appreciated.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Oil leak and cam question

Post by 1950Panhead »

Try replacing the eight pushrod seals. Check the pushrod tubes are centered on the seals. It is common for one or more to leak with oil ending up on the tappet blocks.
I hope someone comments on the bubble gum plug, I don't recall seeing it.
Jerry
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Tickface!

It is not uncommon to find the gallery aperture "bubble-gummed".
WHUTTHE!.jpg
Properly, the welchplug beneath should be pulled and replaced, but filling it with goober is inevitable anyway, even when tapped for a setscrew plug.

Your worst possible scenario is if the cylinder base nuts have been severely over-torqued, producing an invisible crack, parallel to the bulge in the casting for the feed gallery to the cylinder. I have encountered a couple.

Good luck!

.....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tickface

Post by tickface »

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

This is more then likely a dumb question, but what is the hole/passage for?

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Most likely to drill an oil passage in the case.

Make sure the springs are good on your push rod covers & there is a washer on top of the spring between it & the seal in the middle.

I have also seen the flanges on the bottom & top of the covers bent & not putting good pressure on the seals or forcing them out wards.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Those marks on the cam lobes are a concern. It's hard to tell much from the pictures though....

The cams lobes consist of an exterior surface that is hardened steel. Underneath that is steel that is less hard. If you wear through the hardened surface, the wear on the subsurface will happen relatively quickly and that will eventually lead to catastrophic failure.

Take a close look at the lobes. Is the hardend steel worn off? If it is, you would be able to see where the outer surface is gone.

Let us know....
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

My pan had marks like that on the crank pin and the sprocket shaft where it ran in the bearing. I couldn't really "feel" any flaw but I went ahead and had everything save the wheels replaced. How are the tappet rollers?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The marks on the cam are most likely where the rollers were stationary for some period of time. The length of time could be shorter than you think based on oil, moisture content in the air, etc. I suspect if you look at your rollers there is a mark as well. It is basically rust caused from the acids in the oil. Could just be discoloration, could be the beginning of pitting. Can you feel it?
Robbie

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”