bent pushrod

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

bent pushrod

Post by panbagger »

has anyone ever had the rear exhaust push rod bend, and did it make any distinctive noise? the reason for asking is that i have a noise that we can't figure out and we found the rear exhaust push rod bent. its not in the heads, as we have had the heads off several times. Just want to know if anyone has ever experienced this. thanks Scott
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: bent pushrod

Post by RUBONE »

There are only a couple of scenarios where a pushrod bends, and they always involve a sudden reduction in clearance. A valve sticking in a guide or colliding with a piston, or an adjuster screwing itself out, tappet roller failure, etc. They do not bend for no reason. I would have a closer look at that head and the rockers, also the tappets and rollers! And check the valve springs for coilbind!
Robbie
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

As Robbie says DO check valve spring installed height and valve stem protrusion.I have seen quite a number of engines come in with bent pushrods that had recently been overhauled and fitted with new seats or oversize head valves,the whole problem being that no one had bothered to check installed height and stem protrusion.
lee.c
Bikes: 48 el harley
34vld harley
59tr6 triumph

Post by lee.c »

Mine bent the same one a few weeks ago as I was warming it up. Everything sounded normal it just stalled. When I went to start it back up I noticed the pushrod tube bent. Haven't tore it down yet to see what went wrong.
panbagger

Post by panbagger »

already went through the heads and all is well with them, its the noise we cant figure out. the rod could have been bent for a while, not sure just discovered it the other day. Were thinking with it being bent that the noise might be the rod hitting the push rod tube, not sure yet waiting for a push rod. Thanks Scott
panbagger

Post by panbagger »

well finally figured out the noise and it was a valve seat. it became apparent today when I took the bike for a test run and the noise appeared, pull back in the bike shop the mechanic heard the noise again and pulled the rear push rod out. Went to pull the intake rod out and the motor locked up. Took the spark plugs out and saw the exhaust valve hung open. Pulled off the head and this is what we saw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

I will gladly put in touch with people in yer own backyard that can do this job correctly and guarantee their work....bosheff
panbagger

Post by panbagger »

already got it covered it should be fixed by tomorrow. but who do you know in this area for maybe future use? Its always good to know who's around as it is hard to find reliable people to work on the older bikes, for when comes to things out of my realm of thing I can do myself. Thanks Scott
Last edited by panbagger on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Please describe what "the fix" will be? I've got inserted seats in my heads, and even though I haven't yet ran the motor, I'm a bit concerned. My motor guy who did the work stands behind it, so maybe it's all for naught.....
panbagger

Post by panbagger »

I am not sure how to explain the "fix" other than the machinist puts a new seat in it and re-cuts the seat for the valve. I will post more details when i see the head tomorrow. Scott
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Post by StueyC »

Scott, why is there what appears to be chisel marks around you exhaust port?

StueyC
panbagger

Post by panbagger »

not sure Stuey, someone told me at on time they did this to help hold them in place. these seats were put in about 8 or 9 years ago, and i don't remember if that guy did it or not. Scott
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Gates Performance Engineering in Morrice, Mi. I'll post up the phone # as soon as I can lay my mitts on it. Owner's name is Greg Gates. He is one of the best kept secrets in the universe. He specializes in performance H-D's but will do just about any BT. He designed, engineered, and manufactures HIS OWN engine which is approx. 160 cu in. He took this engine to Bonneville twice and set a record the first time out, then broke his own record the next year. He has an engine builder on his staff that's been doin the knucks and pans forever. They did a 65 for me and did an excellent job. I don't often endorse anyone, but these people are exceptional....bosheff
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

9545 Beard Rd
Laingsburg, MI 48848-9318, USA
(517) 675-7105

http://www.gatesperformance.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

I am not sure how to explain the "fix" other than the machinist puts a new seat in it and re-cuts the seat for the valve.

I can't tell for sure by the photo, but is that a steel seat insert (K.O. Lee, etc.)?

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”