Linkert intake

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
concrete guy

Linkert intake

Post by concrete guy »

I am doing some mods to my 1950 heads. Here's my question. When mounted, does the intake manifold sit perfectly centered between the cylinders or is it off center towards the front cylinder?

Thanks,
Scott
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Re: Linkert intake

Post by Schwee »

Centered.
concrete guy

Post by concrete guy »

That's what I figured! Somebody was monkeying with theses heads wayyyyyy before I got my hands on them!
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

Have the heads been modified to take the O ring intake?
concrete guy

Post by concrete guy »

steinauge wrote:Have the heads been modified to take the O ring intake?
These heads were in rough shape, thread completely trashed. I am welding in permanent inserts (don't hang me from the highest tree, please). I was just done with the intake leaks. Last one burnt a cylinder while flying down the road. I am guessing one of the seat areas where the nipple butts against the head was surfaced quite a bit. When I test fit the intake it is closer to the front head.
PANHEADINTAKEFIX2013.jpg
PANHEADINTAKEFIX2014.jpg
PANHEADINTAKEFIX2015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

If the inserts are welded in they generally work pretty well.Sometimes thats all you can do short of spending a LOT of money.The critical thing is to be certain you dont have so much space between the intake spigots that your O ring cant seal.Since you are the one installing the adaptors this shouldnt be a problem .The reason I asked the question is that the screw in adaptors can be the mummys curse to get to seal. :)
concrete guy

Post by concrete guy »

Mine were screwed up beyond recognition. I had done JB weld, loctite, and all other kinds of sealant. They worked so-so and I am done with them. Rebuilding my engine now and don't want to take any chances of frying it.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I had the nipples welded in my 1950 heads for the same reasons . Just make sure you pressure test them before you mount them on the cyl.. A big rubber cork with a double barbed nipple worked for me . I had to take mine back to the welder that did them because he welded them on the inside (no small task ) & they leaked when i assembled the heads & intake . I did a leak check before mounting my carb & found them leaking around the insert. He did a fine job welding them on the out side & no leaks .
He commented he had done hundreds by welding on the inside & never had a problem . I asked how many did he pressure test after wards , none , than how did he know they didn't leak ? He said he will test them from now on ,for sure & thanked me for what he called, waking him up . I told him to do shovel manifolds the same way . I left my testers there for a week so he could copy them.

Ya ,some here will probably think you should be shot for changing a OEM head . I say its a better system & fine with me . I could care less what an AMA judge has to say .My Pan's are for riding ,not a show piece ,But its OK, if yours are !
concrete guy

Post by concrete guy »

Thanks Fourthgear. Since owning this Pan for two year I accumalated the required pressure testing tools :lol: Pressure testing is first on the list! I took the time to weld up inside my head so as to create a shoulder for the new nipples to seat against to aid in welding. I also cut a chamfer so as to make a nice smooth weld. I didn't have much luck welding in the nipple the first time :oops: Even though I practiced on mock up pieces with great success with 6061 tubing it was a different result when trying to weld it in the head. The two different alloys didn't like each other very well. I think the cast likes to gas off a little to much. I was also trying to weld them too deep into the head, putting my torch at quite an angle. I had to make a fixture to hold the head since just clamping in the vice wasn't going to cut it and my first attempt sucked. Hopefully this will end my leaks for good!
HEADFIXTURE004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
concrete guy

Post by concrete guy »

So what is the perfect distance to have between the nipples and the intake? Right now I have a total of .035" or .0175" on each side. Is this to little?
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Keep in mind that when installin the cylinder heads on the cylinders, it is important to "index" the heads. This will make all the difference in the world in the fit of the intake manifold, as well as the sealing ability/capability of the o-rings. I've never measured the gap between the head/s and intake, but you should be able to install the intake without havin to hammer it in. It will be a snug fit, but if you slide it in squarely, you should not have a problem. Personally, I like em to fit as tight as possible, cause it makes it easier to install the o-rings and clamps if yer doin it by yerself....bosheff
concrete guy

Post by concrete guy »

Welded in and done.
PANHEADINTAKEFIX3002.jpg
PANHEADINTAKEFIX3003.jpg

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”