Velva touch lifters

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Velva touch lifters

Post by panwars »

Hi all

This is reguarding my lifter problem posted earlier. It appears after much research that the stock lifter set-up, especially with aftermarket looseness & an old stock oil pump, can not handle increased valve spring pressure and an Andrews A grind. A few sources mention Velva touch lifters and blocks as being so much more efficient that they eliminate many problems and will allow the Andrews to work with hydraulics.

I can't find info on their durability roller wise, or if they will be happy with cast iron pump volume. It seems to me that if they aren't leaking do to looseness and also don't leak down as much that it should be a good fix.

Anybody have experience with these, especially with an old pump?

Thanks,

Scott

"Any body can start a motorcycle with their thumb"
roach
Bikes: PANHEADS FOREVER

Re: Velva touch lifters

Post by roach »

panwars, you can contact vern ott(patent holder&original manufacturer)@740-383-2396. you can also purchase direct from him. jim
texasbobber
Bikes: 1951 FL Panhead

Post by texasbobber »

Hello,
I got a set of Velva-Touch Lifters direct from Vern Ott. And I run an Andrews A bumpstick, compatibility is just fine roller wise. I'll say they're as good a hydraulics as you'll ever find. The lifters and lifter blocks are machined to closer tolerances than regular production hydraulics.
The oem oil pump is an altogether different matter. There's reasons to use a better oil pump (volume is one). I'd ask Vern about that pump first.
I got away from the oem pump a long long time ago.
TxB
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

I've got an S&S pump with very few miles on it that I am looking to trade for a working stock pump.
mtnmn 1830
Bikes: 1999softail,1974shovel

Post by mtnmn 1830 »

Hi All
I ran Velva touch lifters in my 1974 shovel with a leineweber j4 cam with stock pump. it ran good. was happy with lifters.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Remember //The A-Grind sucks with HYD.-units!///Run real good with solids!.As far as The Velva-touch lifters are concerned/I know there very well MADE!.There are a few running Velvas with STOCK PUMPS & NO PROBLEMS!---Your problem is not the added spring pressure!/It has nothing to do with it!//Afterall a guy just posted running a stock-pump /Velvas & Lienweber cam!---He has no problems!& Lienwebers are Hi & fast overlap/So spring pressure suely surpasses an Andrews A cam!.Remember PRESSURE MEANS NOTHING!--(ITS VOLUME that COUNTS!).If you have a gasket thats new between your pump & case /Most likely its thick!/.010 or MORE!/Thats an issue!.I have used Old Gaskets on complete overhauls for oil-pump to case!.The closer you get the pump to mill/(the happier you & your HYDS. will be!---Just remember that an A cam with stock HYD. units is crappy to run.The A grind allows the hyds. to bleed down fast.No pump will help you here & at the cost of Velva-Touch products//Personally I would ditch the cam or Run Solid tappets!/Solids are sweet with an A cam.---Respectfully---Richie

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”