Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

head torgue

Post by LittleAl »

so what is the current concensus on torque for the head bolts? 45 pounds?

Since I don't like dealing with the extension and stuff for the torque wrench, I like to torque the heads to the jugs and put them on as a unit. Just painted the jugs and gonna do this in a little while. Might as well ask now on the jug to case nuts too

oh, '54 with stock heads...
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Re: head torgue

Post by LittleAl »

silly me, right there in the knowledge base. that search feature is a wonderful thing!

65 heads, 35 base.

HG to the rescue, again!
VT

Post by VT »

Might want to review head bolt installation > Repop > OHV Head Bolt and Push Rod Installation just to see how the Snap-On® foot adapter works in an early OHV application. It sets off a chain of events (new gasket set, new headbolts) if you re-use head bolts that have already been stretched and it snaps (usually it's the last bolt tightened that lets loose, following the same law of circumstance that makes the last nut usually the hardest to loosen).
Learn from others mistakes, imo, especially with in-line assembly as universal as "head bolts on a Knuckle & Pan". Everyone has to pass through the same doorway. There's no new tricks. Only the ones you don't know about yet. It all stops at 65 ft. lbs (in a criss-cross pattern). Blue teflon (w/ metal fire ring) for Pans. Copper head gasket for Knuckles.
And careful with those Pan cover gaskets, you can get them upside down. I did once. Don't do it.
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

I believe that 65 is to much for the head bolt torque, pulls the inserts and warps the heads between bolts, I was taught to use 50 to 55.
Rich

65 heads, 35 base.

HG to the rescue, again![/quote]
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

oh, and for the first time on a Pan or Shovel I tried to put the heads on the jugs and put them on as a unit. well, of course that didn't work. next time I'll go back to my regular routine of putting the completed motor in as a unit, lol

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”