Pilgrim builder alert

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Pilgrim builder alert

Post by VintageTwin »

A quick bob and weave through the V-Twin catalog reveals some tight sections to navigate. There are several choices for Knuckles and Pans. S&S makes a crankcase that, built as a Knuckle, will only fit in a Pan frame. Which ever way you build on an S&S you will need to use the '73 and later style oil pump. So if you build an S&S Knuckle it won't fit into a Knuckle frame. But, the crankcase has a relay boss.
STD crankcase do not have a relay boss, so your forced to use an automatic distributor (timer, circuit breaker, whatever you want to call it). Automatic distributors are the work of Satan, so take that into consideration when building an early Replica.
V-Twins Replica crankcases give you two choices. You can get an STD type crankcase with no relay boss or you can get (10-1016), '48-52, roller bearing, which does have a relay boss, or a (10-1031) '56-57, Timken bearing, which also has a relay boss. The '58-62 crankcases (10-1015) do not have a relay boss. All the V-Twin cases accept the S&S or cast iron Replica oil pumps.
With the Pan cylinder heads, you get two choices with STD. You can get STD heads with three-bolt Shovel exhaust, or you can get STD with OE style spigot exhaust. However you get the flat-sided Evo contour head casting with both.
Or, you can get a V-Twin Replica set of Pan heads (10-1065) plumber manifold or a (10-1066) O-Ring manifold, or a (10-1067) '63-65 OHO. All have OE style spigot exhaust.
What would a Plumber do? Plumber would order strictly V-Twin and build something that closely resembles the parts that Harley-Davidson designed.
wheels
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Re: Pilgrim builder alert

Post by wheels »

for what its worth, if you contact STD directly you have quite a few more choices in heads. they have five combinations of components available in either pan or shovel style with either exhaust. they will sell direct and assemble their heads with higher quality components. they also told me they make the replica heads for v-twin.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Look at the outside shape of both V-Twin and STD. STD has the flatten side of the cylinder head, V-Twins are rounded like OE. FYI before you buy anything. Great that STD is making Tedd Pan heads. Glad to see them on the market after 10 years of denial, about the people really wanted the old original style back.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
wheels...... you are correct if you get your local std dealer to call them they can order cases with all the correct castings and ribs, I have seen a set. The price was around 900.00, but it looks like oem and it had no numbers stamped in the wrong places. It comes with a blank number boss.
the heads do have late model plugs in them.
I can tell you these cost about 1/2 of v-twins

not to get in to it with any body here,But After the D rings I ordered from vtwin last year . They will be the last place I order from ever. I dont know if it was the bad chrome or the die cast injection bosses that showed that pissed me of more. my old one had a better finish than new.
mbskeam
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yeah..your right. Look at the outer shape of the head fins....their rounded like OEM. It's hard to believe someone would re-pop a head that looks exactly OEM without putting "their" style improvement on it somewhere....a big ugly Trademark or something......you know???......anything....any gob of casting that would visually jerk your mind back into the present, while you were lost in reflecting on the past. Are you sure there isn't a big hairy "STD" cast somewhere on that head, like on the top leading edge of the cooling fin, so it's telling us 24/7, "I'm not OEM..I'm a fake from the present"?
Nice work STD.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
no the only markings on the heads are the F for front and R for rear, but they are under the pan cover. if you look at the heads real close around the spark plugs, you can see that there is twice as much meat over the combustion chamber. that and I think the rear top fin over the exhaust and the gasket sealing edge are now all cast solid so that the edge does not warp, but mind you I would have used my old heads ,but they started to crack all over,....around plugs into combustion chamber, around intake tract causing a intake leak , and the return oil galleys were leaking out, spraying down the side of the bike=1qt of oil every 250miles.to old with many hard miles I guess. 20,000 by me and before me?
mbskeam
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

mbskeam, Do you have a part # for these heads? There exactly what I'm looking for. Thank's, Ed
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

When you order your heads from STD they send you an order form that lists all the various options they offer. You can specify exactly what you want. I fillled out the form and added a note emphasizing that I wanted to use the original stock exhaust and intake manifold and wanted heads that looked as close to stock as possible. That is exactly what I got. As Mike says, STD have beefed up the weak areas of the original HD heads while retaining the original appearance. Order direct from STD and you will have more options at a much lower price than if you go to V-Twin.

Post by duodave

As Mike mentioned, the STD heads do seem to require a longer reach plug. Anybody happen to know the part number of an NGK plug that would be suitable?
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

FastEd, i don't have apart number but if you call std direct they have all kinds of options. their number is 818-998-8226, i talked with terry and she was very helpful as they have alot of options. they will sell to you direct or the guy i told you about (Fred's Cycle in centralia) just set up an account with them and may very well give you a little better deal. we were puttin my bike backe together and discovered a cracked head. i'm gonna put std's on it and get my originals fixed. they both look like they need work. it looked like my valve seats were replaced and i'm afraid of bad things to come. i like to hot rod the ol pan ya know. i figure that way i'll still have all the original stuff. give me a hollar if you want freds number.
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Wheels, Thanks for the #, I'm going to try them direct and see what I can do. Ed

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”