four inches

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
picasso

four inches

Post by picasso »

hi guys, a salesman at mt. cheha h-d told me today that his dad used to put 4" pistons in pans. is that possible? please forgive my ignorance. Picasso
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Possible, with custom big bore cylinders. But, not without considerable beefing up of the cases, around the deck. An old time drag racer that I used to know built cylinders from rail car axles. I believe they call them truck axles, from the name of the assembly. But, his cases were so built up, that they were obviously nowhere close to stock.

If he was implying stock cylinders and cases, no.

Jack
picasso

Post by picasso »

whewww, Thanks Jack, I thought that sounded a mite wide, I`m always reluctant to call bullshit on a man in his own store. Picasso
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Resist the urge to call them for what they are. You may need to go back another day. Always better, if they feel good about you coming.

Jack
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

I'm going to totally agree with this, and add..........always be aware that the modern day HD dealerships are largely ignorant about Pans down OR just wanting to make the owner feel like they are riding junk and that it would be "better just to trade it in on a new one or they could personally take the old heap off of your hands".
Jack_Hester wrote:Resist the urge to call them for what they are. You may need to go back another day. Always better, if they feel good about you coming.

Jack
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Kevsett -

One better. A very few years ago, I was in an H-D dealership with two good friends (both brothers). The younger got in a light argument with a fellow about Shovelheads. The stranger was saying that he wouldn't take a Shovelhead anywhere, as they were so unreliable. The older brother stepped up and pulled me along. He informed the fellow that his younger brother had just returned from a month-long trip around the country, on a 1980 Low Rider. Then, he shoves me up to the guy, and informs him that my 1976 FLH had been in every state, but RI, AK, and HI. Then proceeded to tell the guy how full of it he was, and that he needed to get his head out of his a**, and spend more time on the road, so that he could speak from first hand knowledge. And, the dealer backed them up, completely, about Shovelheads. You won't find one that will, now, I don't believe. But, it was a Kodak moment, for sure.

Jack
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

My wife was really hot a few years ago when we were inside one of the Metro-area dealerships and found out they had just done a fairly detailed restoration on the owners 58 but always seemed to be ignorant and unaware of how to do any quality work on our 64.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack-

I would have enjoyed seeing that "Kodak moment" :D

kevsett-

I could see how that would 'steam' you & her up..
Best to try to pick up all the knowledge U can, & do your own as much as U can.. Besides it's very gratifying afterwords..

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”