Front head noise

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
wheels
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Front head noise

Post by wheels »

had STD heads installed on my 65. Everything is new except the rocker arms and blocks. have ridden around 100 miles and now notice a knock infront head. i can put my hand on the cover and feel it. the bike makes a chirp when its lugged a little. checked the pushrods ( have solid lifters) the intake is a little tight. adjusted it correctly but haven't run it yet. anyone got any ideas. thanks. the rings pistons and cylinders are all ok.

bike starts right up and runs ok but when i rev it up i can really feel a thump. when ever i give it gas is wheni can hear and feel it.
mbskeam

Re: Front head noise

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
did you pull the jugs before the heads?take out pistons?
are the wrist pin keepers in place?
are these out side oilers? do you get oil out of the oil line to head?was the passage clear in the head. I work in prodution and have seen a few holes that should go thru a part but did not make it, shit happens, tools break, people have bad days,bad QC etc... pull down the ex. push rod tube is there oil up there?

what cam are you using? valve clearance issues,spring collars hitting the valve guides?
It sounds like you will be pulling head, better safe than very sorry. gaskets are cheap.
mbskeam
I could go on but, it is only guessing.some things you just have to see and hear.

oh..valve seat come loose, bad valve guide?
kell

Post by kell »

Take the pan cover off and check nuts/studs holding down the rocker blocks. Easy enough to do. If the rocker blocks seem solidly affixed to the head, you could loosen the pushrods and wiggle the rockers themselves to check for slop.
When you put the cover back on don't screw those #10 machine screws in too hard.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I was wondering about the rockers too.

Do you have felts in the pans?
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Wheels-
did you change the cam at same time ?? I Fixed a Pan/clone that "had a F head thump" it was the cam
walking, & lobes 'nicking the other lifter bodies' Sound traveled right up into the front head! (It could be felt) This motor had about IIRC +.090" cam free play.
(I may have told U )
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

i didn't change the cam. i didn't have the noise for about the first 40 miles(i think). i do have felts. i noticed i kept smelling exhaust the last time i rode it. i was wondering if the bike would run if the front exhaust valve wasn't opening. could the exhaust force its way back through the intake. i do not hear metal on metal but hear and feel a distinct thump. everything sounds fine on the rear cylinder. thanks to all who responded. i hope to take the head off in the next couple of days.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Wheels-
If it ran, it would be crappy 1 cyl.

How about a Compression test 'cold' on both barrels w/throttle WFO for a baseline.
Should be tested Hot, but, don't want to risk any further chance of damage..
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

I had a similar problem with my Knuck, when the bike was cold it would run fine. When it warmed up I would hear a knock, or thump in the front head. It finally broke the rocker arm about 15 miles from home one day. Pulled the front spark plug and rode her home. Anyway, come to find out that whoever did the rebuild installed the valve guide too high, or it was a custom made one, but that doesn't matter, what was happening was, the valve spring retainer would hit the the guide once everything got hot and eventually broke the rocker arm.

Just a thought.

Kurt
FYI

Post by FYI »

Aftermarket valves (Rowe) for 1 had been found to be making ex. valves .75" shorter than stock HD. These can hit the guides, as you can imagine. Not good.

This was posted @FHP by a MasterBuilder
Take nothing for granted. Check all.
FYI

Post by FYI »

PS: The spring collar can hit the guides (I meant)

Check overall length & stem protrusion thru head.

Just FYI
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

this forum is great, unfortunately it sometimes is a double edged sword in that now after thinking about it for a week i must reveal my own stupidity (again). two of the nuts holding the cylinder down came loose. the guy who usually works on my bike can't get to it for a couple of weeks and i still haven't paid the loan shark in full(she doesn't want any trade). so i have decided to give her a go and fix it myself. i hace the cylinder off and unfortunately where the two nuts were loose the cylinder has cracked on both sides of the holes. does it ever end? can those be welded by a qualified welder or should i just get a new jug. the piston and cylinder walls or ok suprisingly. another can of worms has been opened. i need her fixed asap.thanks for the help to all who responded.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”