Torqueing cylinder base nuts

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
cosmiccowboy
Bikes: 64 FLH 47 EL

Torqueing cylinder base nuts

Post by cosmiccowboy »

I need to re-torque the base nuts on my jugs. The support for my carb is in the way and is supported by the bolt that goes through the cases between the jugs. Can I loosen that bolt to get at the base nuts with out creating other problems. By the way its a 64 FLH
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Sometimes you can get in there with an obstruction wrench. It is a U shaped wrench which usually has a 9/16" box wrench on one end and 5/8" box end on the other end. You may even get a partial turn with this wrench coming in from the other side of the motor. Sliding your front intake push rod cover up helps too. Also remove the Bugle horn if you have one. It is possible to create an intake leak. But if you do take it out it would be a good time to do the pressure test and be sure you don't already have an intake leak.
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

yes it won't hurt to loosen that nut or take it off, as long as you don't forget to tighten it back up when your done.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”