Early pan hydraulic pushrods possible to find

Is it possible to find good original-style early hydraulic pushrods

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Kuda
Bikes: *

Early pan hydraulic pushrods possible to find

Post by Kuda »

In the tear down now and I found another surprise. The original pushrods have been converted to solid by the simple expedient of welding around the top of the hyd. unit. Since the 'rod itself it fairly warn, they've got to go. Question is, is it possible to find good original-style early hyd. pushrods, and is it worth it? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy good solids? This is on a stock '49 FL, building to FLH specs, and will be a high mileage daily rider. Thanks,

-Kuda
'49 FL(H)
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Re: Early pan hydraulic pushrods

Post by Rammy »

From what I have heard on thease early hyd units they aren`t that great. I think hard to find as well.
You can do the solid thing or drill the oil passage from the lifter block to the main line like the 53up I think is the year and use the new style hyd lifters and blocks.
I did this on my 51 after running into the same problem as you with the pushrod hydros. It worked sweet. A little hairy drilling , motor should be apart on the bench I would think. You can use a lifter block gasket to locate the oil feed hole and you can see where the main oil feed line goes along the side of the case. 1/8``bit one shot deal but can be done. :P
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Early pan hydraulic pushrods

Post by fourthgear »

Kuda
Be very careful if you plan on drilling out case for oil passage . Someone did mine and went right through into the flywheel area and it just pumped oil into the sump and of course out the breather hose( belt drive ) When I saw this I was committed to do a complete rebuild, found they had put JB weld or some thing in there to close up that small hole which of course did not work , upon removal of heads they were not getting any oil and I mean dry , spit cases for inspection and found the JB let loose , who knows where it all went. found some one to weld case and am waiting for throttle cable to test motor to see if all is well. Just a lot of BS to go through to get hyd. lifters if ya ask me. I'm sure you can find a brave soul to do it or risk it your self.
Like Rammy said gonna be very hairy in deed, I'm for solids , hyd. are nice too. That passage is at a slight angle back I believe.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”