Piston brand name

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Piston brand name

Post by 62wild1 »

Can anyone tell me the brand name of the piston that has a metal support plate inside the piston. Almost like a divider???????
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Wild1

My local harley stealership sold me a set late last year, they even came in a harley box. Looked a lot like a TeddWan product when I took them out. I think most of the big resellers are offering the exact same piston; J&P, Custom Chrome, etc. I installed them and they seem to be just fine, so far........

mike
62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

That's the ones. My builder put them in my motor and I am a bit worried about them but won't know till I get it back together and start it up. Glad to hear yours are working out well. I haven't heard much about them so thought I'd ask.

Post by Guest »

Any idea what purpose the devider serves?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

the pistons are cam-ground (slightly elliptical), at least the originals were. the divider is fore-and-aft where the maximum thrust occurs when the pistons change directions going up and down, I think the steel bridge helps them hold their shape and gives the skirt a little more support because there is not much meat in that area of the piston. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it!

Most of the used pistons I've ever pulled out showed scuffing on the skirts in that area, the Babbitt or other coating on the piston worn off down to the base metal that the piston was cast from.

As I mentioned, they measured out and fit just fine and seem to be working in my '49.

mike
62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

I do know they have been used hard in an endurance bike and held up just never heard of them before.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”