Tips on changing engine oil

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Tips on changing engine oil

Post by 59Panman »

What is the best way to get all of the old oil out of the motor after you drain the oil tank? I put 2 quarts back in the oil tank and started her up and the oil is almost as dirty. My 59 is equipped with an external oil filter which I changed as well.

Thanks
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Ya know Mark , I'm not sure I would want to purge the oil out , you want some thing in there for start up before oil is circulated by the oil pump. Are you using mineral based oils ( non synthetic ) I use Syn. oil and even if I go extended between oil changes , it still looks good , some times I don't want to change it because it looks so good , but looks can be deceiving and I change it any way. I always wondered how new oil (non syn. ) can get so ugly looking just after start up in a Harley. Just burning up them additives in there pretty quick to make it look like black gold.
I'm sure others will have some thing to say.

Post by Guest »

you could always disconnect the return line at the tank, then start the motor and let the new oil work it's way thru till it starts comeing out the return line, re=connect the line and top off the oil level. Mike
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I got guested....Mike
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Do not consider opening the drain at the bottom side of the left case.

There is just too little room to allow it without chancing bugger'd threads.

Removing the feed line at the pump drains both tank and motor,... if you give it enough time.

...Cotten
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

My oil tank must have been 2 quarts low since it was at the refill line on the dipstick and because when I added 2 quarts, it brought the level up to the refill line again. According to the 59-69 HD Manual, the tank holds 4 quarts and should be 1" from the top of the tank when full. I will add the other 2 quarts which will probably help out my dirty oil situation and provide additional cooling. I will leave the feed line alone since there is only 5oz's according the manual. When the oil drained from the tank, it seemed like I should have had more oil come out! Stupid me, I should have read my manual first! My next oil change, I will rinse the tank with some kerosene.

Thanks for all of the input!
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Mark.... I know all the books say to use 4 quarts of oil but I don't know anyone that puts in more than 3 quarts when changing oil. By putting in 3 quarts it comes right up to the full mark on the dip-stick. I wouldn't run mine with 4 quarts in the bag. Its just way to much. I should mention my pan has the original horseshoe oil tank. Maybe after market tanks are bigger.

If I'm wrong about this, then someone will correct me shortly. -Steve
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Most of my fourth quart always went into the saddlebag.

My favorite handy oilchange tip:
When flushing a tank, a kitchen 'turkey' baster with a couple inches of vinyl tubing upon it works wonders to get at nooks and crannies. Rapid squeezes 'plunge' the solvent safely to loosen sediments.

I also prop up a rolled piece of linoleum to funnel the drainage into a pan on the ground.

....Cotten
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

I have marked my dipstick at the 3 quart and the four quart (full level). I put in 4 quarts if I am changing the oil when hot, and just a little less if changing the oil when cold. In the summer, when the oil level gets to 1/2 quart low, I bring it up to the full mark because oil is one of the best coolants we have. Not quite so picky in the winter, but never let it get to the 3 quart mark.

Since I have found that nearly all of the oil is pumped back into the tank on my particular bike, I am not concerned with the little bit of oil remaining in the engine and much prefer to change the oil, and especially the filter when cold.

Kent
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

So, is it 3 quarts that bring the level to within 1" from the top? Is this still the mark to shoot for? I normally would take it to Chris Mac Ewan / MacEwan Enterprise's in Oakland due to the mess and recycling but wanted to learn more about my bike.

As a note, I drove my bike up the street to warm it up and found out that the rear brake line/steel under the primary developed a leak from the rubbing along the 2 bottom primary cover screws. Good thing it happened in front of my house and not up on the pass in Sonora!.

Thanks again for all the input.
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

Mark, my 57 holds 4 quarts when full, and that is just about 1" from the top of the tank. I look in filler hole, which is on the top of the horse shoe tank for my model year, and can see that the return line opening is above the oil level. Probably not so important, but my old mind thinks it is a good thing. The next time you change the oil, mark the dipstick at 3 quarts and if you can, see where the level is. I think you will find that it takes 4 quarts.

A mechanic friend always adds three quarts and then runs his bikes. He then adds the fourth quart. The filter and galleries are then full, and the fourth quart is easily added.

Kent
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

When I change the oil , I put in about 3.5 qts. and then start the motor and let it run a few and then add the last of the qt. and as has been said when warm I can see oil returning from the motor in the tank and the vent is above the oil level . I do have a new spin on filter system on there now though.Not sure if that makes a diff. and I have a stock oil bag.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Rule No. 1 always has been: Check your oil every time you ride the machine.

Beyond that,...to try to carve in granite where your oil level should be...

Face it, if you don't hit the Interstate for a long haul everytime you get on the machine, topping off to where your breather bubbles isn't manditory.
Its a good thing that last half-a-bottle isn't really critical, or these farm implements would never have become legendary.

Chiefs really suffer from oil capacity, yet somehow everything else broke before the lower end. HD lower ends are different only in dimensions.

I bet we change our oil a lot more often than the original owners. (insert wink emoticon.)

.....Cotten

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”