1965 cylinder oiling

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

1965 cylinder oiling

Post by fourthgear »

I finally got my lower end back ( eight months just to rebuild the fly wheels, I won't be taking any more work there, I would give a name ,but they still have my heads ) I see that of course I have the late mod. cyl. that have oil return back thru the lower cyl. wall ,but they also have another hole below it and also one in the case that passes thru where the earlier passage would be , but empties out where the cyl. skirt is on the left case . My question is is this some sort of extra oiling because its a stroker and do I have to open a hole in the base gasket to accommodate it ? I will take some photos today after I clean the cyl. up , for better reference .
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Is it different from the stock situation?:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=4305
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Yes , it is lowered for the stroker and the upper hole (stock ) has been bushing-ed off to re-route the return oil farther down into the skirt area, through the case . I just posted some photos of them and after cleaning the gaskets and cyl. up ,I checked the new oil return routing and when you look at the photos it is clear whats been done . This is only my second stroked motor and I don't seem to remember if my other one was like this or any stroker I've worked on , age has a lot to do with it ..

DSCN04520423.JPG
DSCN04510422.JPG
DSCN04550426.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Thanks Panhead , I guess I could have taken more focused photos , I guess I tried to get too close .
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

FourthGear!

You've pretty much described the traditional method of lowering the hole for a stroker.

At one time, S&S was instructing to braze up the top hole, which ruined a lot of Chubblehead cylinders. Its easier to split a piece of steel tubing and insert it up into the gallery.

...Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Thanks , I kinda figured that's why it was set up that way ,but not knowing much about conversions for strokers , I was kinda Leary about it untill now.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”