Bikes: 2014 triumph tiger explorer
1976 FXE 93" stroker
1953 FL
1960 FL
1958 45” frankenbike

Some options on my pushrods on the 53

Post by Casaba »

Howdy,
I've adjusted these pushrods a few times trying to make sure it's right because she is a bit tickey. This engine has solid slugs and adjustable pushrods. I know the aluminum aren't held in high regard and that's fine. I want a new set with steel and I'm not sure who makes the best setup for this on my 53. The heads are mismatched apparently with a 48 rear and 50-54 front. The bike has run well but needed new corks on the tubes so I decided to take a look see and as you can see, it appears they have been flexing and rubbing in the tubes.
image.jpg
What say you on a good option for new pushrods?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Re: Some options on my pushrods on the 53

Post by old.wrench »

casaba,
Since you are already running solids, have you considered getting rid of the adjustable pushrods and run adjustable tappets instead? Every now and then you hear about a problem with the adjusters on aluminum pushrods (although I've never had any problems with them), but you don't hear about those problems with adjustable tappets and solid aluminum pushrods. That's what I run and it's a simple and trouble-free setup.
If you want to stick with your current tappets, Vulcan Engineering makes adjustable steel pushrods for Panheads, and I believe S&S also makes an adjustable steel pushrod that matches up with the Panhead rocker arms. I haven't used either of them myself, but most of the Vulcan Engineering and S&S stuff is pretty good.

Geo.

Here is Vulcan:
http://vulcanworks.net/Adjustable-Pushr ... 17073.html
Casaba
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1976 FXE 93" stroker
1953 FL
1960 FL
1958 45” frankenbike

Post by Casaba »

Thanks, it's definitely an option at this point. Going to pull the blocks and see what all is really in there I think before I decide

Well maybe I am...they won't budge and I think someone previously used black permatex. I've tapped with a hammer and brass drift lightly to no avail. I'm really concerned about cracking on or damaging the case. Any thoughts?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Like 'casaba', I have used solid aluminum pushrods with adjustable tappets forever, with never any problems- on my pan/knuck hybrid.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

If you decide to go with adjustable pushrods, you might consider looking at Comp Cams 9002-Kit. I have these on my '56. They're steel, with very robust adjusters. Nice.
Casaba
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1976 FXE 93" stroker
1953 FL
1960 FL
1958 45” frankenbike

Post by Casaba »

Thanks Steve, that's just what I was looking for rather than the adjustable tappets as this seems easier to adjust when needed.

I put it back together and rode it today until I can get the new pushrods as they aren't bad, just not making me all warm and fuzzy! My stock (or existing I should say) exhaust is somewhat quiet and I hear my valve train more than anything else so Im always wondering if it's too loud while I'm getting used to her. Maybe I just need louder pipes! Ha
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

steve_wood wrote:If you decide to go with adjustable pushrods, you might consider looking at Comp Cams 9002-Kit. I have these on my '56. They're steel, with very robust adjusters. Nice.
Excellent, I'll be looking into these, I have the steel rods with the adjustable perch, I find them to be a complete PITA
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Bigincher wrote:Like 'casaba', I have used solid aluminum pushrods with adjustable tappets forever, with never any problems- on my pan/knuck hybrid.
Oops. I meant to say "like George". No matter..........
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Casaba----I find the adj. steel P-rods a set & forget item.Once installed & you roll her over a few & keep checking your lash,when perfect -I dont touch them unless Its rollerwheel time & new corks.I have never had HYD. in my any of my bikes over the yrs.And my pan is very quiet up top.----Respectfully----Richie

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”