adjusting push rods

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
el rojo
Bikes: 1962 Harley

adjusting push rods

Post by el rojo »

I have a 62 pan and have solid lifters and was wondering the proper way to install and adjust them? Last time I did it was about 40 years ago on my 56 and as I recall I would adjust them to just bearly snug and then tighten them three turns and lock them in but then I recently heard that you just snug em and lock em down??

el rojo
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: adjusting push rods

Post by RUBONE »

DO NOT adjust solids snug then any number of turns. you are confusing solids and hydraulics. Solids must just be able to spin with slight drag when adjusted, zero lash. Hydraulics must be compressed, hence the extra turns down. If you adjust solids like that you can bend valves, pushrods, collide with pistons, etc....
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

El-roho----Also it depends on if your running Alum.-P-Rods or Steel-P-rods.If Alum. You tighten them TIGHT!-So you have to really get a grip on them to make them spin.After warm-up pop a tube & you will be surprised how loose they get.You should be running steels with solids!--When Adj. steels Adj. to no up/down play & a dry-edge of a finger should be able to spin them!.Alum. Colony p-rods Don't last very long on a solid tappet.(if you have alum. keep an eye out where the ADJ. is pressed into the tube!-Usually that's where they start to mushroom or get wider from the hammering.When you see this YANK-Them & Replace.I have been running solids always!-I never had a HYD. lifter bike!--& I can tell you after many yrs. If you MUST USE ALUM./P-rods--Because they are cheaper then steels///I tighten mine very tight As long as the vale stays closed THATS WHERE it should be.If you are going to stay with solids /Do it right & get Steel Rods!--No guesswork & You don't have to worry when a P-Rod is going to frag & blow right thru the tube.Steel for Solids & Alum for HYDs.I have posted a few pics. of Alum. ones on solids & what they look like When about to let go.I keep the ADJ. & Top arm balls for steel P-rods if you make your own.---Hope this helps --Respectfully----RICHIE
el rojo
Bikes: 1962 Harley

Post by el rojo »

Thanks for the input. I must of had hydraulics on the 56 then. when you pull the lifter up and out, how do you tell which is which? mine I am pretty sure are solid as I can't see how they would be able to compress and I also just assumed my pr's were aluminum from the color and weight but I will take a magnet to them to verify and then if they are aluminum I will replace them with steel as that makes sense about the pounding from a solid lifter as aluminum is a much softer metal. You mentioned that you had some pictures but I didn't see them in your reply. I just joined the forum and still learning how it works. Is there another place to go to see the pictures?

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”