noisey top end after bike heats up

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Rain Man
Bikes: 1965 FL, 1983 FLH, 2010 electra glide

noisey top end after bike heats up

Post by Rain Man »

I'm having a problem with my valves clattering after the bike warms up. the engine was rebuilt top to bottom. I ran it about 1000 miles with no apparent problem. it sat for a few months. when I started riding again, the valves would clatter once it warmed up. when it was built it had hydraulics in it. after it started making noise I switched it solids. It made no difference. I've checked the pressure. about 21 lbs. when cold, then as it warms it drops down to about 4. the screen is clean. I pulled the push rod tubes and ran it to see if oil was getting to the top end. It is . Ran 20-50 the first 1000 miles. after this all began I switched to straight 50. no change. I'm running an S&S oil pump, STD cases and STD panheads, with S&S crank and rods. It has me stumped. Any Ideas? Ray
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: noisey top end after bike heats up

Post by Hauula Pan »

Do you know if you have felt in the pan covers or not? Have you re-adjusted your pushrods? and are they steel or aluminum? Unless you're somewhere where its really cold you might want to switch to 60wt. Your oil pressures are normal so I'd be looking for something in the valve train loosening up as the engine warms up. I had issues until I threw my aluminum pushrods into the trash & put a good steel set back in. I also put the thick felt pads in the pan covers, the thin ones didn't do anything to quiet the noise.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Worn cam followers will cause the condition you mentioned....bosheff
bangkokbob
Bikes: 94FLSTN
63FLH

Post by bangkokbob »

Same as my bike. 3 of my rocker arms have a lot of side float. Put some ear plugs in and ride it.

I'm not going to pull the heads it's going to cost $ and bike runs well.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

HULLA & BOSHEF Have GREAT responses to your post!--If you have steel P-RODs, SET them cold so you can Barely spin them with your fingers not oily!--If your running ALUM.-P-Rods,Set them TIGHT as you can as long as the valves do not open!--You should not be able to spin the Alum. P-Rods in your fingers!--(unless you have KUNG-FU GRIP! :lol: .I have ran NOTHING BUT Solids for MANY YRS. & this is HOW to set-them up PROPERLY!.As the motor gets to operating temp.--The Alum.-P-rods will LOOSEN-UP!/& If you pop a tube when its hot & put the cam on its lowest base/-EVEN IF THERE DEAD TIGHT when COLD -YOU will see how EASILY they turn when its hot!.---USE 60wt. OIL/-I prefer VALVOLINE-60-racing formula!,,Kendall is good if you can find it!.Castrol is GOOD Also in 20/50-non-synthetic for winter operation or properly put Colder weather!.READ the K-Base theres days of reading there!--If you have STD HEADS then by all means make-use of the better FLOWING DESIGN!/& use a cam that will give good street performance,As well as Starting Easily!.REMEMBER to Switch-out the Rollers on the tappets every 16 to 20K miles /weather its running good or not!.--THIS goes for STOCK motors ALSO!--ITS the GRENADE in the design! & KEEP a GOOD EAR for it!--(use a broomhandle or extension for a stethoscope & LISTEN to how GOOD ROLLERS RESONATE threw the STETH./If you find you are hearing something not quite right /It may be p-rod ADJ. time or a ROLLER change out time!--If 1-goes bad--CHANGE ALL!--REPECTFULLY---RICHIE 8)
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Ya'all chime in, correct me if I'm wrong. That oil pressure sounds ok for a worn stock pump, seems a little soft for an S&S. Bypass stuck?
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

is your oil pressure at idle,or road speed, seems low for s&s,which is fine for solids,bad for hydros. ,also is it running hot,check your plugs.................with respect .........JR........ also look at bangkok bobs post,what he went thru.......
Last edited by JR JOHNSON on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Huck!---That Pressure sounds GREAT for a Stock pan pump!--But hes got an S&S-pump ,on STD cases.--It does sound LOW for a S&S-pump!--Also You cant go by just 1-gage,(jmho)--All read differenty!,& The Flow is more important then the numbers!./If theres a good Volume of oil going back to the tank,Then I wouldn't worry about the pimps output.Besides He hasent gone to 60wt yet/& that should olny give a HIER pressure #,until at operating temp!,My Pumps Pressure when I checked it 2yrs. ago was 2 at operating temp with 60WT./& That's PERFECT!--As the VOLUME of oil going into the tank is VERY GOOD.--The IDIOT light Is good for 2-things --If it don't go out when firing-up a cold motor (possible spun Pinion-Bushing).If it lights-up at a redlight & I rev it & it goes out,THEN ALL IS GREAT!.---Anyway that pumps VOLUME can be increased!--The Manual has how to do it!/I don't think theres a problem!--Its olny #s--LOOKING into the tank, or Pulling the return line off/ Then start it. If its PUSHING-OIL FAST (ITS FINE).---Respecfully---RICHIE

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”