Hydraulic Lifters

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Hydraulic Lifters

Post by 1962FLH »

1962 FLH rebuilt motor, running stock hydraulic Lifters with Andrews J grind cam and stock oil pump. I converted to end oiler pinion shaft using restrictor plug with 0.0625” or 1/16" hole in it. Put new relief valve spring in oil pump. I’m using Harley 60W oil. The problem is when bike warms up the oil light comes on and lifters collapse but return line still pumping oil back into the oil tank. The crank case filter screen is clear as I checked it several times. I even shimmed the relief valve spring to increase oil pressure. It is an aftermarket oil switch from V-twin and I do believe it is working correctly because the lifter collapse only after the light comes on. It takes about 10 miles of riding for the engine to warm enough to make the light come on. Question is should I keep looking for a fix to keep the Hydraulic lifters or do I give up and run solid lifters? Any help is much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Hydraulic Lifters

Post by Cotten »

1962FLH!

It would seem that your J grind misbehaves exactly like an A grind.

The theory of the pinion modification is lost on me.

....Cotten
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I have installed J cams with solids & bikes are running fine!--Its a mild cam Easyier to kick then a Flh cam. The mills love the range of this cam!--Never did I use HYD. on a J. -As far as the v-twin sending-unit ,I put my old one back in!--Like you It would lite-up after 15min. of riding!-(St.60). My old 1 Dont go off till I been running a half hour & catch a lite! After 1min it goes on!-A little RPM & off she goes!--The VT is garbage unit!--And all are not the same as far as oil lite coming on!--But the HYD. units collapsing is another issue! Make sure they are not scored up anywhere-even if new! & if you got cheap ones from taiwan Thats half the battle. Check oil passages for any obstructions also!--J cams like solids if you want that route!--B ut find why all your lifters are bleeding down at such a high rate!--Maybe 70wt. oil if lifters are not scored-up!--Im sure others will have good info for you!--Good HYD. Lifters cost MONEY!--good-luck--Richie
1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

Thanks for the help Cotton and Richie. I suspect it’s like Cotton stated, it is the cam profile giving the lifters fits but listed other modifications done to the motor with the hopes somebody would tell me what I did wrong. My 1974 FLH did the same thing when I put an Andrews J Cam in. I wanted to use my stock FLH cam but it was too far gone and the J cam was the closest thing to stock I could find. My original FLH cam has a concave spot on the falling side of the cam lobe and thought it should be as the opening side of the lobe.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

1962FLH!

It would not be hard to conjure the notion that the pinion modification must shift the balance of flow away from the top end.

I have zero experience with the J, but the A disease is legendary.

It takes a large volume latemodel oil pump to overcome the lack of pump at the hydraulic unit itself, due to the cam ramp profile. Or so I was told.

...Cotten
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

I have a J in my 65 with stock -53 hydraulic units (made in USA), stock oil pump, stock everything but cam and 20/50 oil. I have no problems at all ever! You either have import hydraulic units or something is out of spec. in the lifter blocks or rocker arms etc.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Did you use the crank pin with three oil holes? The new pinion delivers oil constantly instead of one drop every 360 degrees of rotation, perhaps the pump can't keep up?
1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

First, thanks to all for helping me.
Yes , (less resistance=less pressure) I altered the resistance of oil flow when I put a new crank pin and end oiler pinion shaft however I did used a ¼-20 plug in it with a 1/16 hole drilled in plug to restrict but still have constant flow of oil to lower end. I increased the oil pressure by shimming the pressure relief valve spring on the pump. I suspect the pump will not keep up with the updated parts used on later models and perhaps that’s why Harley came out with a new style oil pump as well. I was told you can get high flow oil pump gears to fit in the old pumps. Can anyone confirm this? Also I could not find a stock replacement Cam and so I went with the closest thing I could find to it; the Andrews J grind. I know what Andrews claims are and yes some people are successful running the J cam with hydraulic lifters However I do believe the cam profile is too much for my old oil pump and lifters to overcome. I like the hydraulic lifters but have to make a decision to spend money on new lifters and possibly an oil pump that may or may not solve the problem; or go with solid lifters. One other thing I had the same problem when I replaced the cam in my 74 shovel head with Andrews J grind. I tried two new sets of Jim’s hydraulic lifters and still would not work with the Andrews J cam; so solid lifters went in the shovel head and I never had another problem after that.
John
ingram
Bikes: 1998 Fat Boy
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

Post by ingram »

How in the world does the cam profile cause the lifters to collapse? If the oil pressure or oil flow is low...there's your problem. :?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

How in the world does the cam profile cause the lifters to collapse?
Depending on shape it can create a sort of bounce that sets up a hammering vibration causing the lifters to bleed down. It isn't about pressure, it is about a certain vibration frequency.
Robbie
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Ingram!

It is a diabolical phenomenon, but real nonetheless.

and John!

I suggest inspecting the cam to be certain that it has not been miss-labeled.

....Cotten
ingram
Bikes: 1998 Fat Boy
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

Post by ingram »

It's all about the lifter following the cam profile. If the lifter is not following the profile, then the valve spring pressures are not correct for the profile. This is assuming the cam profile is a good design. A quality product like Andrews is not a problem. Most people do not check the actual valve spring pressures...based on the installed assembled height on the head and the open pressure based on the valve lift of the camshaft. If these pressures are correct then the lifter will stay in contact with the camshaft lobe as designed. Old, original valve springs are certainly not to be used.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Ingram!

My experience with "A disease" was with a fresh and total build, for which I spaced the springpack personally.

Andrews denies A disease too.

.....Cotten
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Isn’t there a fair sized drain hole in the bottom of the pinion bushing bore? Side oiler would drain the amount of oil that could pass through the pinion bushing fit. End oiler would pass as much oil as the drain hole would allow. Yes?
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

If you decide you want a stock type cam, I wonder how these measure up:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stock-PANHEAD-C ... 712wt_1188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”