Educate me on Pushrods

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Educate me on Pushrods

Post by rozemab »

Hello,

Getting my panhead read for the Spring and doing some preventive maintenance on her. When I started to adjust the solid lifter valves, I noticed this in the rear cylinder exhaust pushrod.

Obviously years of neglect caused the hardened end to become deformed. I plan on replacing all the push rods this Spring. My question is this: Researching replacement rods, I cannot seem to find the same configuration as I shown in the pictures. Both ends have a ball end, yet the pictures in catalogs really don't look the same. One end has a ball socket, the other end the adjuster with a longer 'nipple', so to speak.

I'm not sure what I'm suppose to order for replacements. The closest rod I could find is a Sifton setup in the JP cycle catalog. Is that a typical pus rod for a solid lifter conversion?

thanks , Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Re: Educate me on Pushrods

Post by Hog54 »

I use colony pushrods.http://www.colonymachine.com/33-pshrodkit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/430-662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hop Up
Bikes: 57 FLH

Post by Hop Up »

I just recently had the same broblem. I bought the Colony kit 7122-4. It has big ball ends, other bigger than another. I still had to have two of them shortened a little because I have two shorter Jim's tappets and two unknown brand tappets which are a little bit longer.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

is it just me or does anyone else think that pushrod was installed upside down?

john
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

That would be my thinkin on it, too....bosheff
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

john HD wrote:is it just me or does anyone else think that pushrod was installed upside down? john
yep, there's a big ball end and a small ball end, there's a reason for that!
rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Post by rozemab »

I was not sure about that after pulling the rod (ball size).

I thougth one was larger than the other but I was thinking the deformed ball gave it that look.

So, the larger ball goes into the tappet, correct?
And the rods are suppose to be different lengths. Do i simply pull one rod and find the rod with the ezact length or is there a more exact formula one must follow?

Is Colony the only choice I have for new push rods?
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

The pushrods come in three lengths, the 2 shortest ones (equal) are the intakes, the medium one is rear exhaust and the long one is front exhaust.Ive had the same colony ones in my bike for 16 years,so I guess thier pretty good.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

Beware that the combinations of aftermarket recipes, as well as OEM, makes for many possibilities of mis-match, in addition to upside-down installations.
LIFTERS.jpg
There is no substitute for carefull inspection, and applied common sense.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

applied common sense.
What is that? It isn't on my I-phone??
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

RUBONE wrote:
applied common sense.
What is that? It isn't on my I-phone??
Robbie!

My wife has reassured me countless times that I am not qualified to comment.
Nor am I qualified with the telephone question, for when I dial, it goes "swish-clunk,..tic tic tic tic tic" with each digit I enter.

But it always works, the battery never goes dead, still works when the power goes out, and I honestly can hear better upon it, with my good ear anyway.

.....Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

cotten,

i hear ya!

what the heck is up with the digital age?

i swear i could hear better on an old fashioned western electric hand set.

on a side note, i have a authentic candle stick phone in my bar. my grandaughter is the only one who answers it.

when she hangs up she kisses the ear piece... go figure!

john

ps, i have a nephew who says books are for kids that don't have i pads.
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

I used Sifton oversize hydraulics in my 1965 Glide, and Comp Cams pushrods. Seems to be a good combo so far. Mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Cotten wrote:Folks,

Beware that the combinations of aftermarket recipes, as well as OEM, makes for many possibilities of mis-match, in addition to upside-down installations.
LIFTERS.jpg
....Cotten
of all the combinations in Cotten's assortment the only "fool proof" one is the set on the far left, the lifter is the one that the MoCo used for the hydraulic pushrods, the original push rod was installed with the "oil can" up. Best bet for those was to throw the push rods in the junk drawer and install a set of Colony solid rods, but save the original hydraulic push rods so you have a fool proof refernece to tell you which end is up.

been there, done that....

mike
GreasyRag53
Inactive member
Bikes: 53 FL

Post by GreasyRag53 »

Homebox I got the bike from wants me to work on the bike at the shop, which I prefer right now anyways.
But pushrod adjustments are something I have been wanting to get around to. Along with the pushrods I thunk I would look into timing all at the same time.
When I turn the bike over I can hear a 'tapping' noise I guess in the rocker covers. To me it sounds like somethings loose, pushrods possibly. In doing this it wouldnt be a bad idea to take the heads off and take a good look see in my valve train, reseat. Would doing all this at the same time be to my advantage?

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”