Factory Air cleaner on S&S carb

S&S carburetor isues
Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Factory Air cleaner on S&S carb

Post by Mr Mach1 »

I've got a Super E on my bike and want to make it look a bit more vintage by running a factory air filter cover. Anyone done this before ? I'm willing to cut the S&S back plate and make a plate to mount to the S&S mounts and offer a center stud for the HD cover. I need to keep the S&S backplate so I can retain the enrichment valve lever.
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Re: Factory Air cleaner on S&S carb

Post by TimmyV »

yep, completely doable. MBskeam posted these pix awhile back & I copied it for my '61 Pan with S&S Super E carb. I made the outer bracket out of stainless & used the existing "stand-offs" from the original backing plate. Had to move the rear one a bit & weld it to the backing plate to accommodate the round air filter cover. In the pix shown the enrichener lever has been extended, however I did not do that on mine as I didn't feel it was necessary.
airfilter1.jpg
airfilter2.jpg
airfilter3.jpg
Last picture is with round air filter cover in place on my motorcycle. You can see the stock enrichener lever in the pic...looks ok to me as is.
airfilter4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

indianut.jpg
Super E here also. Inside cables as well. Just make a simple round plate that screws to the carb, with a bracket to screw the cover to. Also just REMOVE the lift-up enrichner and simply screw the Lift and Turn Enrichner from an old Super B in its place!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Thanks guys. Make a big difference in the style of the bike :)
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

indianut wrote:Image\
Super E here also. Inside cables as well. Just make a simple round plate that screws to the carb, with a bracket to screw the cover to. Also just REMOVE the lift-up enrichner and simply screw the Lift and Turn Enrichner from an old Super B in its place!
Indianut, do you have anymore pics of the footpegs behind the floorboards? I'm really diggin that idea...
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

I think they are just Stock Panhead Buddy Pegs!
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

use the enricher like danny said but if you dont want to fab something up vtwin has an inexpensive adapter just for that application.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

the one on the left is from s&s, middle one is vtwin, and right is from mooneyes. you can adapt about any carb and cleaner cover with these. well, almost.
hplhd.jpg
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

The stock harley one that fits on a keihen carb fits on a super E.And it looks exactly like the oem panhead filter except it dont have the tag on top.

http://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/ ... e=%2150958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-99-EVOLUTION ... 8600515795" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “S&S”