S&S Super E carburetor, petcock, etc.

S&S carburetor isues
1poet

S&S Super E carburetor, petcock, etc.

Post by 1poet »

Hey there, pan heads! Was surfing around looking for info on Super E's and such. I've got a "morphed" '54 (motor and tranny)... the rest is what I could get my hands on. Nicknamed it "Hacksaw" for all the obvious reasons (to make things fit!). Put it together 7 years ago, got about 20 K out of it, then bottom end went sour. Just went thru a motor rebuild and am working out the bugs. I'm trying a Super E this time, to replace the Bendix. Had some fouling problems and sputter at high flow (4th Gear). Put on a Pingel, cleaned the carb, and re-sized the jets. I'm at 5500 ft. Had a 70 Main and 290 Secondary. I'm going to a 68 and 285... don't want it too lean. I'll let you know how it works out. Any tips, appreciated!
sleeper

Re: S&S Super E carburetor, petcock, etc.

Post by sleeper »

Danl Welcome,
Make sure your accelerator pump is gently screwed To "Off" to dial in the "Intermediate jet" as the pump can confuse the readings on jetting.
I don't know if you have any paperwork on the "E", or not. But if you turn 'off' the Acc. pump & give the bike a quick rev & it coughs out the "Carb" It's too lean on the Intermediate jet. This needs checked w/bike "Warmed Up" If it does, go Up 1 jet size & retry. If it doesn't cough, go down 1 jet size, at a time till it coughs, then up 1 size & it's Perfect!!! Then when this is good. Turn on the Accelerator pump just a bit & rev the throttle. If there is a momentary pause, then revs up "No cough" open the Acc. pump a bit more, & retry till you get it to respond instantly. & no more. Any more just makes it TOO rich. & washes the oil off the cylinder walls. Causing premature wear on the walls, rings, pistons & etc....
S&S is an easy carb to "dial in" ;D
Just have to take 1 step at a time. Sort out the intermediate & acc. pump & then the Main Jet. As the Pump may be causing you too Rich readings. & Flubbering in a high gear w/roll on ..
Changing 2 or more things at once just confuses the situation. As you don't know which did what..

Keep us posted, ;D
Termite
Inactive member

Post by Termite »

Billy, I was thinking about Storing my Linkert and add a S&S I have a Stock 48 FL 74 And want a new carb but it dosent have to be an S&S just something Better for the old bike. So i just buy the carb with extra jets? and do it as you described? or is there just 1 i should use in a stock set-up?
You all can see my bike in the photo section!!!

Danl hope its ok to post about my thoughts to do on my bike. I'll start another thread if you like.
Ok Billy, I'm interested in your choice of carb. CV there is one on ebay brand new in box and he has several with different part no. 94-96 and a 95 if i remember. Of course i'm feeling nostalgic like im betraying myself. Anyway Billy, here is what im doing Carb-Belt Drive-Electronic Ignition. The bike is converted to 12V. My 2 brothers have bikes Newer Models and this is my 5th Harley. The one i most wanted its the same year my dad had. I'll post a pic of my dad soon. I'll start another Thread.
1poet

Post by 1poet »

s'all cool Billy! Thanks for the tips on dialing in the Super E. Yeah, I been dinging around with too many things at once. Everyone keeps mentioning that I should take it one step at a time especially with the "E", since just an 8th a turn can make the difference.
I'm starting from the bottom up, on this... even tho there was an immediate improvement with just the re-jetting, one step leaner. Easier starts, smoother run and response, but still some crapping out, and some of the carb cough you mentioned. Plugs much cleaner, even around town.
Went back to the static timing, and all the way thru ignition settings. Small adjusts with much improvement, there. If you have someone eyeballing the flywheel timing mark... make sure they know which side of the "window" the mark should be moving into when you set timing. I love my gal dearly, and she's a pretty good wrench assist, but I wasn't very clear on this. Now she knows, and so do I! I'm rambling... I'm outta here>
Dan'l
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Danl, If you follow the steps I laid out for you, you can set-up your "E" in pretty short order.
The importance of 1 thing at a time is: You know exactly what you did & if it got better or worse, you're not guessing.. You know ??
Gotta get rid of the carb cough, it's a sign of too lean.
You should be close with a 28 intermediate, & a 68 main.
But you gotta follow the steps 1 by 1.
Too lean = too hot = trouble.. = $$ Ouch !!
IMPORTANT in tuning the "E" is to turn off the accelerator pump !! As I mentioned above... Other wise you're pissing into the wind!!
Also the mix screw on top is for idle mix & should be set as follows: Warmed up bike & idling turn this screw in till it starts to die & "Count the turns" & then turn it out till it starts to die, again "Counting the turns" then set it in the middle of both & give it a 1/8 out=richer. Perfect.
Every time you change a slow jet this needs re-done. To compensate for the change.
If seems long doing 1 thing at a time. But in the end. IT's right & You're done. whereas changing a bunch of things seems quicker. But if you have to re-do 3 or 4 times. you could have been "Dialed In" & riding!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Let us know how it's going. It'll get there. Sounds like you have a GOOD mechanic's Assistant!! Great!!
1poet

Post by 1poet »

Billy,

Thought I was gonna get a few minutes to work on the pan today... but no go. Just wanted to let you know that the ignition re-check/work was done as an after thought (My gal & I were talking about timing, and it sounded like she may have mis read the timing mark -my bad instructions- and so I went back in to check). Sure 'nuff! Timing mark set moving OUT of the window, not coming IN.
The Super E adjusts will be one thing at a time, just like you advised. Thanks again!!

Dan'l
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

No Problem.. good that you re-checked your timing..
When there's doubt, Check it out !!! ;D

Return to “S&S”