S&S carb floods

S&S carburetor isues
woodie47

S&S carb floods

Post by woodie47 »

I have a S&S superb E on my 49 Pan. Seems to flood when tank has much gas. Gas runs out of overflow tube. Having a hard time getting parts. I bought a rebuild kit and they gave me new butterfly valve. I think I need a new needle and seat, maybe an accelerator pump. I looked on all the S&S web sites and seem to have no luck. Any suggestions?
woodie47

Re: S&S carb floods

Post by woodie47 »

Guess I should go to the Harley dealer and not the shop with the cute chick. S&S makes 2 kits one called a body rebuild kit, the other a master rebuild kit which has all the parts.
Mick Inniss

Post by Mick Inniss »

I was thinking of putting an S&S on my 59 Pan But the more I hear on Forums about the trobles I think I will stay with my old Linkert. Just my two pennies worth. Mick Inniss
jarhead
Bikes: -

Post by jarhead »

I run a S&S E on my 62. Never had problems. Very easy tune-ability.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

I run an E also.
Never had any trouble with it.
Ding

Post by Ding »

Woodie,

Check the "Panhead" board. I posted on there about your running issues. As for the overflow...Float adjustment.
Now mind you I am posting this from work so this is from memory but here goes...
Remove the float bowl.
Hold it upside down and measure from the edge of the bowl to the top of the float.
Should be 1/8th inch (I'll double check that tonight at home)
If it is out of adjustment you can get away with bending the float stopper trigger with a small pair of needle nose pliers.

Re install float bowl.

Remember that the inrichener is for priming/starting ONLY. As soon as you can turn it off.

Ding
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

WOODIE....like ding said,I had the same problem with an older "e" and I rebuilt it and re adjusted the float level....I,d never run anything but an "e" on my pan!!! they are very easy to dial in.
a53pan

Post by a53pan »

i'm running a e style on mine n its working great. i've heard that the old b,s are great carbs too
65panhed
Bikes: 1965 Panhead chopper
2001 Roadking Stage IV

Post by 65panhed »

Howdy, new here. I run an E on my 92" pan and it runs great and never have to tune it. I'm in the middle of rebuild after crash and just rebuilt this carb.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

65panhed-

Welcome man!!
Bummer about yer mention of crashing. (that bites)
65panhed
Bikes: 1965 Panhead chopper
2001 Roadking Stage IV

Post by 65panhed »

Thanx for the welcome. I try to crash at least once a year to hone my rebuild and repair skills. But back to the topic at hand, in 92 when I got my pan it had a bendix carb on it that was trash. All the custom shops had a shot at fixing this monster and couldn't get it done. So I traded an 86 and 81 sportster for it. The shop guys had to push me to get it started and i barely made it home 5 mile away. Long story short I thrashed on this thing for 2 weeks and finally gave up on the bendix and put a super B on it . It was like adding electric start and a blower to it. 2 years later after another crash I rebuilt it again and put an E on. It started even easier and the idle Quality seemed to improve, my guess is the shortened intake tract. Any way, I think its great but I do wonder about how it would run with an SU or a Mikuni flat slide, but I would't spend the money to find out.
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Post by captainharley »

The only S&S carb. to run on a Pan is an "L" series. Yeah, maybe not the most go fast S&S, but were talking class, Panhead class. And you don't have to go the fastest to be "HigH" class......AMF
You've Never Lived Til' You've Had A Quarter Ton Of Hot Chrome Steel Between Your Legs!..........

Captain Harley
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

SU! SU! SU! Had one on my'45 flattie, and have one on my pan. Easy starts hot or cold, great response and mileage. I'll never run another carb. Looks darn cool too!
Just my 2
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Been running a Super B on my 50 chop for the last 15 years. Never had a problem with it once I set the timing right. Always been two cold kicks, choke on, ignition off. Ignition on, just a touch of throttle and one kick starts her up. But it seems that evey pans starts differently for different riders and a lot has to do with personal opinions/experiences when it comes to carbs
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

A friend of mine has a Super B...........gas in the bowl but not squirting down the throat of the carb...........float adjustment, or is something clog? Bike has been sitting for a while.

Return to “S&S”