S&S Super E adjustments

S&S carburetor isues
toolscum

S&S Super E adjustments

Post by toolscum »

Got a new Super E that I'm going to put on next weekend. Any pointers as far as adjustments right out of the box? I have a Bendix now & I'm hoping for easier starting.
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Re: S&S Super E adjustments

Post by 57stroker »

When I put my Super E on, I went to the local dealer and put the Pan on their dyno. I could care less about how much horsepower it made, they used the exhaust gas analyzer to get the jetting spot on. The bike cosistantly gets at least 50 miles per gallon and the sparkplugs are perfect color when I check them. Best $45 I ever spent. If nothing else, it lets you sleep better at night knowing your not burning a hole thru a piston. Make sure you check your manifold for leaks before you go.
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

57Stroker, what jet sizes are you running? I haven't had the opportunity to use a dyno. Iv'e got an 89" 4-5/8 stroke pan running a B-grind cam.It runs great, but no where near 50 mpg. What's the secret?
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

I'd have to pull the carb to tell you the idle jet. The main jet was the smallest that S & S makes for the "E". The shop wrench told me that I could probably even go one size smaller! Here in Idaho, I'm at about 4700 feet above sea level. I'm sure I'd have to re-jet if I went down by the coast. I thought about soldering a jet closed and drilling it smaller, but I had it dynoed before I stroked mine. (84" 4 1/2" torque monsters) It seems just about right now. (Haven't dynoed it since) Running back and forth to work, she gets 35 - 45 mpg, depending how hard I lay on the loud handle. About a month ago, I rode to my son's MX race. 92 miles round trip, took 1.47 gallons. I trust the dealer and the wrench that did the dyno work. I don't think I'd have the balls to jet it that lean myself...
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Thanks for the info, I know I'm running rich, I'll try a jet change and see how it works.I have a 70 main in now.
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

Quick S & S Panhead question...........Can you guys tell me what troubles/pains are involved in changing from the stock M74B Linkert to a Super E???
I'm thinking that the worst or it is taking out the old throttle cable and putting in the new one. Also, any drilling, etc. needed?
Please advise, as I am going crazy trying to fix another of the many intake leaks on my Linkert, this time due to warping of the brass flange.

Thanks,

Kevin
64 FL
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Kevin, the S&S "E" or Shorty is available as a kit with carb,manifold, cables and bracket. Make sure that you get the right kit for your application. I have aftermarket heads with Shovelhead spigots(O-rings) also I had to make my own bracket to hold the carb in place.The carbs are the same but you want to make sure you get the right manifold.Hope this helps...
kevsett

Post by kevsett »

Your answer does help. How about the cable issue? I guess I have to remove the old cable and install a new one? Is this a major headache to do?

Thanks,

Kevin
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

not an answer to Kevsett's question, but yet another question myself - how do you find the S&S E compares to the B? I've run a B on a shovel before and thought it okay, and from what I understand the E is an even higher tune than the B?
Seems to me that either might be overkill on a standard pan (not a stroker or tuned pan) - what are your thoughts?
I currently run an older SU, which seems to me to be the same sort of simple engineering as the pan. It seems to be set up quite nicely (by the previous owner). I'm not biased one way or the other re carbs, but would be interested to hear the rationale others have for selecting a particular carb. eg looks, performance, simplicity of maintenance, originality, etc.
Cheers,

S.
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

I think the SU is right on the spot in all the aspects you mentioned! I've got one on mine, and it's simply GREAT! Easy starting, perfect idle, quick throttle response and good mileage. Simple and easy to maintain, looks great, especially with the chromed S.U. air can, and you won't find too many so you can feel pretty unique too.
At least here in Sweden you can get 2 restored tip-top S.U:s for the same money you'll have to pay for a restoration object with S&S stamped on it.
No, I'm not objective...
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Which SU type is it, the HIF-44?
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

Mine is the HIF-6/Rivera, some also call it Dominator (!) I think Rivera is an American company that modified S.U.'s.
here's a link to a place I found:http://www.teglerizer.com/sucarbs/index.html

Good Luck!
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Kevin, I believe that the cable came with the kit I bought. Are you using an internal cable? That might be an issue.
I ran a "B" on mine for a while and actually liked it better, except for starting.It made smoother power(if that makes sense) The "E" is easier for me to start,probably due to the accelerator pump, but my "B" is old and could use a serious rebuild.
I had an SU on another bike once and once it was set it gave me several years of trouble free service.
kevsett

Post by kevsett »

MTNSPAN,

I am currently using the totally stock Linkert M74B carb and throttle cable system and was hoping not to remove the stock throttle cable if I replaced the Linkert with an S&S carb.

Thanks,

Kevin
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

I use internal throttle cable with my E; this is a self made adaptation. Just keep your original outer sleeve; buy a bicycle brake cable you can cut to correct length, screw it instead of the piano style wire in your grip; then make a 90° elbow with small diameter tube and put it on the carb side of the outer sleever (you can find these elbow in modern throttle cable assy) to reach the super E. Hope I was clear

Return to “S&S”