S&S Super E jets

S&S carburetor isues
Sidecar
Bikes: -

S&S Super E jets

Post by Sidecar »

Does anyone know if the main jet is marked with a number in an E series carb? I need to go one back on the main. Too rich.

Thanx
Randy
kell

Re: S&S Super E jets

Post by kell »

Hey Randy. I have a shorty E and the main jet has a number on it. The spare jets I have bought also had numbers.
I also thought I had a too rich main jet at one point, because the plugs were fouling. Turned out I was wrong. The only way I know of to suss out whether the main jet is sized right is take it on the highway, ride for a while and then while you're still at speed push in the clutch and immediately kill the ignition, don't shift or even give the revs a chance to slow down, just kill it and glide to a stop with the clutch in. Then look at the plugs.
This is the low-tech way. There may be some other way, like with a vacuum gauge. You would have to find out from somebody with more experience carb tuning.
dirtpandan58
Inactive member

Post by dirtpandan58 »

Don't you run the risk of stripping the threads when you pull the plugs on a hot motor? That's what I've always heard.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Thanx for the tip Kell. That`s pretty much the way I do it. I live close to an exit on the highway. The bike was set up for wide open throttle on a dyno, but I don`t ride it that way.

DP
I never heard that before, but I guess it`s possible. I have been doing this for 25+ years though and never damaged any threads on anything yet. I have burnt myself a few times though. When possible I let things set for a while before I remove the plugs, unless I`m in a real hurry.
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

The jets on a shorty are just like the "B" I believe they start at 68 or 66 and go up to ? I think its for thousands.068, .070, .072, .074 etc.....
but don't quote me, also S&S says that turning the motor off at high speed and checking the color is a good way of seeing what is going on for the mixture in your carb.
Ente

Post by Ente »

Hi Sidecar. It could be (happened to me when I used the E) the accelerator-pump that need to be adjusted. It squirt too much fuel nearly all of the time.
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

S&S the accelerator pump on the shorty has 3 positions it can sit in kinda like the Bendix ya pull the pin and relocate it to another hole or something like that
kell

Post by kell »

On my Super E you adjust the accelerator pump with a screw. Turning it in (clockwise) reduces the amount of gas, out increases it. It is on the right side of the carb.

Return to “S&S”