S&S intake manifolds

S&S carburetor isues
mbskeam
Bikes: *

S&S intake manifolds

Post by mbskeam »

Do you guys that have S&S O-ring intakes have a problem with the clamps sliding off and into the center of the manifold.
well mine kept doing this, and upon further looking I found that the OD of the S&S manifold is stepped down, as the wall is not as thick as OEM.
this lets the clamps move inboard.
my fix was this......
manifold001.jpg
manifold006.jpg
manifold007.jpg
manifold012.jpg

welded blocks onto the manifold just slightly taller than the clamp, now the clamp is trapped between the head and manifold, both on the inside and outboard side as shown in the pics.

mbskeam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kuda

Re: S&S intake manifolds

Post by Kuda »

Nice job! But one thing makes me nervous: if the blocks you added are even *slightly* too close to the intake nipple, they might get under the edge of the clamps and you won't get a good seal on the O-rings... But other than that, it's a damn fine piece of creative engineering!

-Kuda
'49 FL
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Mbskeam!

Those custom over-kill clamps are best intended for exhausts and not manifolds.
The 1/4" studs tend to distort the band portion as the bend in the stud does not draw the band up evenly. Many overzealous wrenches have even managed to pop the lips from the head and manifold spigots with them.
Similar clamps with #10 screws are much more friendly. (Like OEM.)
Please remember that the clamps were never intended to do any more than to flatten the o-rings into the groove. They are supposed to give for cyclic expansion and contraction.
They were never intended to solidly support the carb assembly.

....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

mbskeam
Is that a S&S flanged manifold? I just picked up a CV carb with about fifty miles on for a hundred bucks and planed to use an S&S flange type manifold and adapter for the CV. I really don't have stock spigots in there , I have welded in nipples , maybe they won't be a problem like stock .
Cotten
I have used those type clamps ever since they came out(long , long time ) and I think they work much better than the stock ones . I also believe that they do some what act as mounting clamps , you are not going to make me believe that the carb is held up by just the bracket, because you would eat up o- ring very fast if it did , Ya just need to tighten them correctly. As far as expanding and contracting go , I don't really think you are going to stop expansion between the manifold and heads by using hose clamps any way. just my two.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Fourthgear,

I never said anything about stopping expansion.
Its your gamble.

...Cotten
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

the clamps are aircraft that I have had since 93/94, I draw them up till snug then a bit more, these are 10/32 with nylock nuts, under the draw bolt is a plate that slides as the clamp it draw en up.
as to the clamp getting under the welded on part, it cant happen as the block is about 1/8 below the edge and .075 above the clamp.
it is a custom S&S manifold that I cut down to OEM length, with a 3/8 plate welded to the throat, it has a 4 bolt linkert pattern,cut this flat on the mill. on the carb I welded on a plate to the spigot, then this got cut on the lathe. when I did it up this time I put in a ertalite spacer to keep the carb cooler, it seams to be working, from the books at work it say its gas safe.
I do run a support off of the air cleaner backing plate, found out long ago, you need this small but IMPORTANT part.
you ever have your carb fall off....
now why did the bike just die?....OOOOOO I see...LOL

mbskeam

been doing all the work at home, except for the mill, with OT that will happen soon.....

1889 stark lathe.....

th_ac1.jpg
th_ac3.jpg

it mabe old, but it can do about +/- .001 on a part, if I go slow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chobber69
Bikes: 48 Panhead and 79 FXE Super Glide

Re: S&S intake manifold & Clamp Install

Post by Chobber69 »

Great dialogue on the clamps. Gotta admit, not as versed as some of the "techy's" on these threads. Been using this site lately & printing off different asmby pics, mine is now at the busted knuckle stage...finally. Last night, while waiting to pick up the ole lady....I viewed 2x similar but different manifold "stainless" clamps....acquired in recent mths, thinking that all clamps are created equal! Why the two clamps??...figured I was going to pooch at least one...while trying to mount either....and/or use one for exhaust pipes, in the alternate. Cotton said it the best in two words "overkill" & "friendly", in application. I tried one o-ring clamp...general look, feel & taste the same...but on closer inspection of each...the band width on one was "slightly" larger + bolts being differnet size i.e. 10mm vs. 1/4" + the threaded rod end was much larger in reach! Not being an Einstein...tried to install the larger one first (S&S manifold & o-ring install - to 56 OEM heads). I installed the o-rings on....and was surprized that the manifold was held up by these little fellas! Didn't recall hearing this from previous threads. It's a testament on the strength alone, for sealing purposes only! Great start, so now I try manouvering the band in between the (rear) head & manifold wall....absolutely "no-go", it just wouldn't clear! Attempted same w/the smaller one....and voila, a text book install! For a moment, I thought something was wrong (always an initial reaction), but upon furthur inspection, it was a perfect "mating"! I gently tightened the "nyloc" nuts that came with either till snug & will definitely not gorilla anything furthur. I'll get a level on the front of the manifold (currently on a ATV lift)...to keep things reasonably square, but it looks great! I'll fab up a supporting bracket (handrolic creativity), from the rear bottom manifold bolt to in-between the cases on the "V" portion. I had enough time left, to "test" the other clamp on the exhaust spigots...these puppies are still large, but definitely made for this application....still the long reach of the threaded rods limit positioning i.e. fin clearance issues. Well, that's my story...boring perhaps, but it pays to pay attention, and not take anything as a given....my 2cents. -RIDE FREE-
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: S&S intake manifold & Clamp Install

Post by 58flh »

Chobber69 wrote:Great dialogue on the clamps. Gotta admit, not as versed as some of the "techy's" on these threads. Been using this site lately & printing off different asmby pics, mine is now at the busted knuckle stage...finally. Last night, while waiting to pick up the ole lady....I viewed 2x similar but different manifold "stainless" clamps....acquired in recent mths, thinking that all clamps are created equal! Why the two clamps??...figured I was going to pooch at least one...while trying to mount either....and/or use one for exhaust pipes, in the alternate. Cotton said it the best in two words "overkill" & "friendly", in application. I tried one o-ring clamp...general look, feel & taste the same...but on closer inspection of each...the band width on one was "slightly" larger + bolts being differnet size i.e. 10mm vs. 1/4" + the threaded rod end was much larger in reach! Not being an Einstein...tried to install the larger one first (S&S manifold & o-ring install - to 56 OEM heads). I installed the o-rings on....and was surprized that the manifold was held up by these little fellas! Didn't recall hearing this from previous threads. It's a testament on the strength alone, for sealing purposes only! Great start, so now I try manouvering the band in between the (rear) head & manifold wall....absolutely "no-go", it just wouldn't clear! Attempted same w/the smaller one....and voila, a text book install! For a moment, I thought something was wrong (always an initial reaction), but upon furthur inspection, it was a perfect "mating"! I gently tightened the "nyloc" nuts that came with either till snug & will definitely not gorilla anything furthur. I'll get a level on the front of the manifold (currently on a ATV lift)...to keep things reasonably square, but it looks great! I'll fab up a supporting bracket (handrolic creativity), from the rear bottom manifold bolt to in-between the cases on the "V" portion. I had enough time left, to "test" the other clamp on the exhaust spigots...these puppies are still large, but definitely made for this application....still the long reach of the threaded rods limit positioning i.e. fin clearance issues. Well, that's my story...boring perhaps, but it pays to pay attention, and not take anything as a given....my 2cents. -RIDE FREE-
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Mbskeam like the fix on the manifold-I know exactly where your coming from & its not Left-field :lol: ? Hows she been holding up-leakwise? I would think you have no issues with it at all! 8) Things like this is what make a GREAT-SITE!---58flh :idea: Also Chopper69 has a beautiful work in progress! Hats-off to both of you men!(remember upright in 4th & open-up) :lol:
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

HEY GUYS-----Well I finally installed my reworked S&S-E, along with the clamps they give you & a S&S intake-with the 1-inch spacer.Heres how it went ,the clamps that come with the kit are about a one-sixteenth wider,thats when I noticed that as I was tightening-up the clamps,as (skeam) said they tend to ride in!--That is why they work well with shovelheads,I never had them that tight,meaning in how wide they were on the PAN installation!.--(MBskeam)-did a great fix no doubt!, but I wasent gonna go threw alkl that.-I got the ones that came off-about 22yrs. old.I cleaned them up & they were like new! This is where I found that there a 1/16 larger-refering to the S&S ones. I rolled the o-rings on the manifold & placed it in place /rolled them down & the o-rings held the S&S manifold in place perfectly!-of coarse if I let it go it would drop down(duh).So I placed the original clamps over everything & they FIT LIKE A GLOVE!-slowly I turned each clamp till I felt IT was time to leak-test before any further work.Hooked up my homade-tester/put the soap on with a brush & did each side, They took anywhere from 4-6 complete turns before no more bubbles!--Put carb. on I made a homemade bracket out of 1/8 by half inch steel & mounted it to the upper motormount so it has that cleaner look!-its totally hidden!-Hooked up new fuel-line with filter,opened the petcock & let it sit for a beers worth of time & checked over for leaks,found 1 right at the petcock,it took a little more on the clamp & all was OK!-Pulled the enrichment valve after I saw that accelerator had a shot then I knew she was full of fuel.Kicked it over 4-5 times shut the valve down,gave 3 more twists on the throttle & she fired on the second kick!---Did my ADJ. that had to be done/&went for a ride not to far 10 miles just to get her warmed-up,Shut it down& checked both sparkplugs & she was burning just how I like it --A little rich ,just past the cocoa-brown stage!.Put plugs back in & hit the ignition,Fired on first kick & the feeling was way different then my BENDIX! I could of pushed-it with my arm-thats how easy it started!--(Performance-wise--the wick is a lot crisper when you wack-it, no flatspots(yet)& really just more pull through the RPM range--which is what I was looking for cause most of the time IM rollin 2-up & then your gear! Shes gonna pull up them hills with no stress!.--If you are making a change-over take into account your cam &Exhaust & stroke/you can get very close with your JETTING before you even start-it!.MOST IMPORTANT THING/LEVEL the Manifold Leaktest 2-3 times if you have to & use (STOCK-CLAMPS) as COTTON has said numerous times!-Im running old clamps on mine ,I checked them over real good & found nothing wrong/after a clean-up they looked like I just got them. If I would of found something wrong,I would suggest getting a new set of the OEM style clamps or you can dremmel a sixteenth off the new set that comes with a kit!--I did one & it came out great!---Enuff rambles here Gonna hit the hiway before the rain setles in!--GOOD-LUCK------RICHIE 8)

Return to “S&S”