Aftermarket air filter element for Linkert M35

Linkert related issues
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Aftermarket air filter element for Linkert M35

Post by 51Hog »

My 51Fl uses a Linkert model M 35. The air cleaner element is Harley part number 29036-41, a metal fiber that needs to be oiled.
I would like to find a paper filter to replace the metal fiber element and still keep the original J slot cleaner cover.
Anyone have a part number for an aftermarket air cleaner element that will do the trick?
Dale
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

An engineered adaptation is available at http://www.oldiron.net/prod-kafilter.php

...Cotten
PS: Although the M35 was not issued for your machine, all Linkerts will accept the same airfilter backplates.
Check out Old Iron's 'velocity cone' as well!
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Thanks Cotten,
Just what I was looking for!
Have you used the 'velocity cone' yourself?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I used to carve such things back in the '80s. Commercially produced versions for modern carbs have been around for years. S&S has a cone built into their signature aircleaner backing plates.

The effect is minimal but real; Anyone who has played with a flowbench knows that just putting a ring of modeling clay around an aperture will smooth out turbulence that robs a couple of cfm. (At WFO, anyway.)

....Cotten

PS: That M35 would honk on modern hiqhways a little better with a larger venturi as well.
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

I believe that my 51FL is supposed to run an M74?
Will there be a big difference when I install one? (Between the M35 and the M74?)
More air-More fuel-More Power? Will fuel consumption change?
I have not checked mpg yet, but the old gal seems to be using a lot of fuel.
I did pressure test the Plumber manifold, nipples, rivets, heads and cover holes above the intake ports for leaks, and checked the carb over well.
venturi is not loose, and I see no dalight around it. Butterfly shaft and bushings have very little slop. no groove cut by the butterfly. Butterfly can seal totally without letting dalight through. Passages are clean. Resurfaced the carb flange and manifold flange.

I am still having a problem.
Engine cold- Idle set great, engine misses.
As engine warms up, miss goes away
Engine operating temp- Idle boosts significantly. (Vacuum leak only when warm???) engine is smooth.
Per FSM, Timing is set dead on, timer bushings are good.
Engine runs VERY slowly at timer full retarded position, but does not die.
Plugs are new.
Points and condenser are new.
Battery is charged.
Coil and plug wires spark well.
Check plugs after 20 mile ride--Front = dry black soot.
Rear = Rust-Tan
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dale
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Dale!

Palmer splits the '51 year with M74 B's for the latter half.
So you must guestimate your VIN against the published production.

Forgive me if I forgot selling you one of mine (damn these internet handles), but I must really ask what float you are running.

...Cotten
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

I am running what probably is the best float ever. --Yours--
No more anchors here.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The factory offers a K&N element is their Eagle Iron line. I bought one a year ago, it was like $12.00 or something really cheap. My brother uses one of those ring things on his 49 and says it works.
VPH-D
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

51hog
I think all these old motors run funny when cold , what I mean is , they sometimes pop and sputter and then as they warm they do have an in crease in idle , its pretty normal and if you are running hyd. it seems to be a little rougher untill warmed . As far as motor running slower when manualy retarded , thats what the manual says is a properly adj. carb. , I believe it says , when warmed up to operating temp. engine should still idle in retarded possition ,but will be slower.
My Linkert will not idle when cold ,it takes a few for it to idle correctly and I like a little higher idle then most feel it should , I had a guy at the local watering hole stand behind me the other day and when I turned around to look , he said I just want to here it idle , I told him I have her set a little higher that he probably thought it should be , his answer was " still sounds good".
How does she run on the open road?
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Yea---These old bikes do sound great while idling. Too bad they don't oil well when they are retarded doing the lumpity-lump--lumpity-lump....
She runs great on the highway, but I still don't think that I quite have her dialed in though.
3 gals of gas in 81 open road miles. Spotted soot on front plug- Rusty brown color on rear plug.
I am backing down the high speed needle two clicks at a time between 20 mile runs to see if I can clean up the front plug and lighten up the rear a little. I don't think that they will end up burning the same.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

51hog
I assume you are the same 51hog from the other forum, your gas mileage is not normal for a stock HD. ,but is that usage before or after your repair ?
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Same 51Hog.
the fuel consumption is after the repairs.
The engine is kind of stock.
.070 over pistons
M35 linkert
FLH cam in FL Motor.
23 tooth engine sprocket
25 tooth tranny sprocket

Return to “Linkert”