FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Linkert mounting questions

Post by panhead_kicker »

I have been attempting to mock an m74B up tonight, and have a few questions. (64 flh)
1)Which hole does the wire block mount in? (Throttle lever and wire block have interference with the top center motor mount bolt and castle nut)

2)Does the motor mount bolt head face the carb side, or does the castle nut? If I flip it around , I may clear the interference with the throttle lever.

3)How long are the carb to manifold bolt shafts? Mine measure 1 3/16" , and they bottom out before they tighten up. I thought I had the right bolts for 2 gaskets sandwiching the insulating block. Oppss. just looked at parts book and see I am missing the lock washers...but even with those I think I may still bottom out first. How long are the correct bolts?
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Re: Linkert mounting questions

Post by Ohio-Rider »

The motor mount is assembled with the castle nut towards the outside and I used high collar lock washer on my carb to manifold bolts. High collars are about twice as thick as normal lock washers.

I can’t help with the cable clamp your using, but if you do a search here for “cable routing” there is a pretty good photo of how that particular clamp mounts to the motor mount hole. I did mine using a clamp mounted from the frame center cross bar.
Good Luck -Steve
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

The holes in my Linkert M-74B are drilled and tapped through. How are the bolts bottoming out? Are they only partially-threaded?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

andy

i think he means the shank of the bolt is bottoming on the tapped portion on the carb.

i'll try to measure mine today.

john
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

shank of the bolt is bottoming on the tapped portion on the carb.
Yeah, I would guess so also-that;s what I meant by partially-threaded(bolts)

Thanks,
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

john HD wrote:shank of the bolt is bottoming on the tapped portion on the carb.
That's what I intended John. Ohio's double thick washer may almost get me there.

I could run my bolts through a die and add a few more threads, then cut off the excess sticking through the carb flange. But I just want to understand the problem before I go and make another problem for myself, if you know what I mean.
I'll wait til John gets a measurement.

Ohio,
When you said the castlenut goes on the outside, you mean the left side of the bike, correct? I found a picture in the knowledgebase of an earlier (50's) setup , taken by VT I think (RIP). It showed the nut on the left also. But the style throttle lever/arm is different (shorter) than on my 64. As to the wire block placement on the throttle lever; there are two holes in the top of my lever, and I need to know why, or at least which one I should attach the wire block to.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

You can attach the throttle barrel in either hole, depending on the throttle action you require. The one closer to the shaft centerline creates a faster action, but less fine control. The outer one is a slower action with more control at low speeds.
Robbie
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

The reason your bottoming out is the shoulder is is to long. The bolt you should be using is 15/16" long. I can't answer the hole for the cable block due to I have no clue which linkage your running. What the hell. use the one that will give the cable the most direct route. Bob L
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

robbie is correct on function of each hole. i like the finer action so i have mine in the outer hole.

i measured my bolts and they seem to be 1/2 an inch from the shoulder of the bolt to the end. perhaps a bit longer as it is hard to measure.

i have regular lock washers under the head of the bolts and the standard insulator block. i also use 2 of the thick asbestos gaskets.

i wonder if you got a set of wla carb bolts, they are longer to allow for a spacer they used in the 40's to line up the m 88 with the air cleaner.

included is a shot of each.

john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john HD

Post by john HD »

if you really need to know for certain i'll pull one of them tommorrow and measure it correctly.

my shop is in a state of disarray at the moment.

john
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

john HD wrote:if you really need to know for certain i'll pull one of them tommorrow and measure it correctly.
No need John but thanks. Bob gave the measurement, and I've got the wrong bolts. Looks like its time to visit the Colony store.
link_mount.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john HD

Post by john HD »

yup those look just like the ones i used with the above pictured spacer on my wla.

your insulator look like it has seen it's better days! james make a nice kit with gaskets.

john
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

panhead_kicker wrote:your insulator look like it has seen it's better days!
John,
Yeah, that one is pretty beat. Guess what's in the Harley package upper right?
I noticed in your picture above, your choke rod looks like it is riding on the manifold. As I continued with mine today, I saw my rod rode on the manifold too, when the choke lever was pulled up.

Other than the ends, Is the choke rod supposed to be straight?
Should the rod ride or rub the manifold?
Should the choke disc be open or closed when the lever is pulled to the up position?
john HD

Post by john HD »

kicker

the choke should close when the lever is pushed down.

other than the ends, it has a slight bend in the middle. it is not a finely crafted part.

mine just rests on the manifold when open and slightly rubs when closed.

i think mine was nos, but you could make an experimental one from clothes hanger wire. then you could copy the bends on to your final design. or just paint a home made one silver and call it good!

either way i know you will make it work!

john

Return to “Linkert”