Linkert replica

Linkert related issues
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Linkert replica

Post by VintageTwin »

It's featured in the '05 V-Twin catalog. Will it stand up to true "Replica" standards? All will be revealed and scrutinized. It's not in stock yet, but those people don't print anything unless it's under construction. Giving me *"chicken-skeen" brah!! Motor.....scooter!
*Hawaiian translation: The fact that the Linkert is being re-made is giving me chicken-skin (goosebumps) my friends.
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Re: Linkert replica

Post by kevsett »

I wonder if one of our more technologically advanced (better PC than my junk) forum users would consider scanning a copy of the relevant page(s) on this replica linkert in the 2005 catalog and posting?
48Pan
Inactive member

Post by 48Pan »

If anybody is interested in replica Linkerts, then go here http://www.masclassics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are being made in the USA.
1 star

Post by 1 star »

55pan, yeah William Mas has them, Made in the USA, not V-taiwan
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I have Mr. Mas' first 1 1/4" model prototype on my bench right now.
I'm impressed.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Maybe it is Mas...I'll find the pix in the '05 catalog. I was told this morning, it's in there... and will post it. I'm hoping M75 & M74B. 1-1/4" Linkerts made before 1-1/2" Linkerts??...let's you know there's many more machines out there, other than Knuckle & Pan.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
looks nice, is this the last part to be remade, how much of the green stuff will these be? parts from A-Z, all the parts now can be had as the old ones get used up or priced out or reach for the average working man

( :'(thanks ebay)

mbskeam
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

I found it. Page 1532. Core...................it's an M74. Happy days ahead my friends. It's '41-65 all over again.

Post by plumber

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198&p=703
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

I wonder what kind a float it will have . Cottons dura
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Ships w/ an Armstrong.....foam job probably. They've always worked for me.
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

Ya,
I had good luck with armstrong float but it did swell in size after 2 years use .
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The yellow things that Tedd calls "Armstrong"s are not anything like original black Armstrongs used by Harley-Davidson.
The yellow things turn into jelly donuts in minutes when immersed in non-oxygenated Midwestern quickymart P4gas. True vintage Armstrongs will last much longer, sometimes months, until they swell to touch the sides of the bowl. I have even encountered where they have split.
Durables are made from a totally inert material, however manufacture ceased many months ago, and may not become available again for quite some time.
I am surprised that Tedd doesn't push brass boatanchor floats, as they are now on the market for as little as $6 retail.
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

With all todays technology I don`t understand why it`s so hard to get a good float. I have one of Cotton`s in my Linkert I`m proud to say .
I hope you don`t mind me saying Cotton
wheels
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by wheels »

Cotton, do you have any of those floats available?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Reasons why a good float is hard to find:

(1) Fuels are changing constantly, becoming more and more digestive every season.

(2) Sealers that resist the fuels are few and expensive; A sealed float risks cracking and "logging" if the barrier is damaged by installation of the pivot nut. And the sealers add significant weight.

(3) The fuel-proof material used by nearly all automotive manufacturers (and for Durables) is the property of one company. They packed up their entire East Coast operation and put it on a slow boat to China last spring, leaving future production in doubt.
My search for alternative materials has been futile.

(4) Harleydom's backward belief that brass will float has saturated the market, hindering development of quality replacements, and diminishing the esteem of Linkerts in general. There is very little profit in the Linkert market compared to selling an S&S kit.

My stock of machined Durables for Linkerts is dwindling fast; I may soon have to save the remainder for my rebuild service exclusively.
Those of you who wish to order need only to email me direct liberty@npoint.net with your postal address.
Durable Linkert replacements are $40 postpaid; Scheblers are $50. (Let me know if you also need the attaching pivot nut and screw, which has often been discarded or lost if a brass float had been installed previously. It is another $4.)
Thanks again to our Host for this opportunity to shamelessly self-promote. As soon as I get another PayPal deposit, I shall try the Donation link again!

Return to “Linkert”