Linkert changed to a Keihin

Linkert related issues
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Linkert changed to a Keihin

Post by BigMike »

Got tired of screwing around with the Linkert, never could keep it right for more than 50-60 miles. Changed to a Keihin butterfly type, what a difference! starting sequence is different, but throttle response and driveability is 1000% better. I did save all of the original parts, just in case!
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: Linkert changed to a Keihin

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi Bigmike,you could also try a cv carb or a SU (they work the same), carbs what a burning subject ! I stick with my shorty just because I can find easily spare parts without waiting mounths..but I keep my Linkert for a future project
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

For when you folks get back to being nostalgic:
The problems with Linkerts (that aren't really manifold leaks) are ones of decades of wear and tear.
Air-sucking throttlebushings and shaft are easy to replace. A shrunken and loose venturi rattling around can be swaged out, or replaced. Even borewear from the throttleplate can be honed out for an oversized plate.
But the most common tuning grief seems to be gaslogged or swollen floats, and brass boatanchor "floats that don't) are probably the main reason so many Pans are running modern carbs.
It doesn't have to be that way.
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi Cotten, I was SURE you would have made such a reply and that you would stick with this old beauty, it's really great to read "the right way" from time to time, each time it's a discusse between "ancient and modern". Trying to ride these 50's made bikes with today traffic is sometimes difficult, so you improve that, change this and at the end ask yourself if it's still a Pan. I wonder what the factory would have done if Pan were still built....please don't tell me...a SOFTAIL nooooooo
BigMike
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

BTW, fuel economy is far better too! I don't even carry a hunk of hose in the bags anymore! LOL
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

I have the stock Linkert on my bike and she runs as sweet as you like through the entire rev range. She would sit and idle all day if I let her. Starting can be a hassle, though. I think mostly it's down to getting to know the ritual. If the throttle and choke aren't set just right, she dont want to know. If she she doesn't fire up first or second kick, she'll flood and I have to wind the throttle full open and kick a few times. She'll usually light up then. Does this fit with normal Linkert behaviour? From the posts here, it seems like some of you guys who are using other types of carbs have similar problems, so I will persevere with the Linkert.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

DuoDave!

Starting a 'cold' engine on a normal riding day should rarely be a problem with a couple of ritual priming kicks (ignition off; choke closed, and then a fully opened choke for the first hot kick). On a very cold day, you may find that leaving the choke one or two clicks closed will allow it to warm up smoother for the first 30 seconds or so.
If starting rituals become erratic, I always suspect a vacuum leak first. Carbs rarely change within themselves.
Starting a hot engine is where they get cantankerous, and I don't believe that modern carbs have much of an advantage then. Partially burn gases occasionally must be expelled to return to a normal mixture.
If a modern pumper, or a hot choke is required, I again would suspect a vacuum leak. After all, holes get bigger when hot.
Obsolete carbs are slightly less efficient than modern units, but modern units are often wasteful with a pumper.
Our fathers used to get 40 to 45 mpg gallon with Linkerts and Scheblers. Why don't we?
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Thanks Cotten, I will do the pressure test thing. I think, though, that the old girl is just letting me know she wants things done her way.
BigMike
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

hot starts can be a little balky, but the cold start ritual is almost the same, switch off- two priming kicks with choke, switch on- 1/2 choke and one kick she is thumpin along, don't touch the throttle. Now to fix the stupid oil pressure light, I have the new style pump so I suppose I could go with a gauge. Sending unit is new, I think there may be a short in the dash.

Return to “Linkert”