Linkert floats

Linkert related issues
mikeinsky
Inactive member

Linkert floats

Post by mikeinsky »

Can anybody help me with information about linkert (DC) floats? I own a 66 FLH with a DC carb. I understand there is someone who may make cork floats for Linkerts. How do I get in touch with this person. I believe his name is something like Collert? My stock foam float swelled up. It has been trimmed to fit the bowl again. It works now. However, I do not trust it with todays fuels. What are my options? Any help is appretiated.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

you have come to the right place. his name is cotten and i suspect he will reply shortly...

welcome aboard by the way!

john
mikeinsky
Inactive member

Post by mikeinsky »

Thank you John. I will keep my eyes open. I will be trying to navigate through this site to learn anything I can about my bikes. Any suggestions on what to look for?
sprucecreek

Post by sprucecreek »

I just installed one of Cotten's floats on my 56FLH...I had exactly your problem. They are not cheap, but if they are half as good as their reputation, then they are a bargain. Plus, he is great to deal with. You can reach him at liberty@npoint.net.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Been running one in my linkert for more than two years. They work perfectly, and exactly as described. No more float problems.
mikeinsky
Inactive member

Post by mikeinsky »

I just hope there is a float available for a 1966 linkert DC model. It is a much different linkert carb. (one year only, I believe). I am also trying to locate a set of OEM 66 FLH tanks. I have OEM 65 pan tanks on my 66 Shovel now. And I have two other sets of 65 OEM tanks. One set on my 65 Pan that have had a well done repair on the bottom of the right tank where it rubbed on the head. And a set spare set that I planned on replacing the repaired ones with. If I can find a pair of 66 OEM tanks in just as good condition, I am willing to negotiate some kind of trade off. I do not want to sell any set of 65 tanks outright.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Like John said, if Cotten can help you he'll jump in here and let you know. You are correct about the Linkert DC series carbs, they are a completely different animal, not anything like the M series. But if anyone can do it I'm sure Cotten has rigged up some recycled salvaged parts from an old Hudson or Edsel or something so that he can cut square Durable floats on his lathe for the DC.

mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

MikeInsky!

The original DC float is molded upon the float lever, making it an engineering exercise to develop a replacement. Producing a run of a special lever would be more than pricey, and the limited market would never support such a venture.

Graciously, many of the original floats seem to be surviving.
This may be most attributed to the extra clearance within the square bowls.

My suggestion is to coat an un-swollen original with a thin layer of isocyanate urethane (similar to Imron) to inhibit the effects of digestive fuel.
(I know of no other sealer that has not failed in P4gas.)

DC's are, for many other reasons, great carburetors.

....Cotten
dc man

linkert dc

Post by dc man »

linkert carb
linkertcarbs.com
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Post by Guest »

Nitrophyl M...Rogers Corp.......Google it!
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Guest!

If you did your homework, you would know that they demand a $10G royalty fee to allow their material to be molded.

Once again, the market would never support it.

....Cotten
DC MAN

DC LINKERT

Post by DC MAN »

BOUGHT A KIT FROM LINKERTCABS SEEM TO WORK GOOD NO COMPLAINTS HERE YOU MIGHT TRY THEM
mikeinsky
Inactive member

Post by mikeinsky »

Thank you for the help everyone. It's nice to know there are folks out there willing to help. I am learning a lot about linkerts. It sounds like they are a decent carb. I want to stay stock.
Cotten

I was wrong again.....

Post by Cotten »

Somebody should have called me down on this....

The DC float is indeed held by a fastener, and a replacement could be machined if necessary.

The original was molded to cut machining costs.
Frankly, it would be a labor of love for an enthusiast to carve his own, as the set up and scrap rate on such a piece would be prohibitive for most job shops.

If anyone wants to try their hand with an exacto knife and sandpaper, post me off-forum at liberty@npoint.net and I'll mail an appropriate slab o' foam for $10 plus postage.

....Cotten

Return to “Linkert”