Manifold attitude

Linkert related issues
birdieman
Inactive member

Manifold attitude

Post by birdieman »

Great sight guys.

Am mounting a freshly rebuilt Linkert M74B and new manifold to my '54 Pan.

Out of curiosity, I leveled the bike off, then checked the manifold for comparison after snugging the clamps.

Now, in order to install the support bracket, I would have to "toe" the carb up about 15 degrees.

Is that an excessive amount considering how fickle the (brass) floats are?

I could alter the bracket as that is my trade but wanted to run it by you guys before proceeding.

I am sure this is the correct bracket by the way.

Am I overthinking this?
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

I like my carb level when the bike is level. Being out of level may change the depth of fuel in the bowl which is critical to the function of the carb. I bend the support until the carb is level and there is no force on the support.
As far as the brass float goes---I learned my lesson. They do not function as the original floats did. After setting three of them to spec. Two of them new out of the box filled with fuel, the other worked somewhat.
Do a search for Liberty Floats made by Cotten. In my opinion, a great contribution to the Harley world. They are fuel proof and trouble free.
One less variable in troubleshooting.
I am sure others will chime in on the level of the carb if I am wrong.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I agree, level is good. But, they run when they're leaning over on the jiffy stand, how many degrees of downward tilt is that?

I think the big issue here is the float, I can think of a bunch of better adjectives to describe the brass float, finicky is one of the milder ones.

Brass floats don't.......

mike
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Imagine a 15 degree tilt when the bike is level, then another 15 Degrees when on the jiffy stand.
I know someone is going to say that the bike leans when turning a corner.
That is true, but the fuel stays where it needs to be in the float bowl due to G force. That is another reason to avoid heavy floats. G force in a turn should make the float sink farther into the float bowl.
Mike,
Does your engine change RPM when it is running at idle and then you lean it over onto the stand?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

what are you using for a bracket? stock or after market?

it should sit dead level with the bike.

i have seen two different styles of stock brackets for mid fifties bikes. one that is "s" shaped and one with a hole in it for the horn to pass through.

john
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Dale,

The engine rpm, and everything else, changes when you stand the bike up after its been idling while leaning over on the jiffy stand. Mine seems to run rich when its leaned over, it always smells "gassy" and loads up like it would if you had the choke partially closed.

Like I said earlier; level is good. I agree with John, double check the support bracket. I have tried to install lots of things that I was sure were correct but turned out to be for something completely different.

mike
birdieman
Inactive member

manifold attitude

Post by birdieman »

I simply slotted the bottom hole to achieve level.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Return to “Linkert”