Linkert rebuild

Linkert related issues
svkiwi
Bikes: 1946 WL

Linkert rebuild

Post by svkiwi »

A while back I bought a 46 WL that looked very pretty, but in reality turned out to be a pos, which necessitated me having to rebuild virtually the whole thing, and drive you guys mad by asking silly questions.
Early on in the piece, I decided the M88 carb fitted to this machine could benefit from having a thorough going through, so after enquiring of a certain gentleman on this forum who goes by his surname if he would give my carb a rebuild, I wrapped it up in multiple layers of bubblewrap and posted it to his USA address from my hometown of Masterton, New Zealand. I was offered insurance at extra cost and declined [heck, I've sent and brought in from the States heaps of stuff for years and never had anything go missing], don't need that stuff! Was informed delivery could be expected in 7-10 daze.......
Time went on and every time I enquired of the carb man as to whether he'd received my parcel, I kept getting the reply that he hadn't seen it. I got onto NZPost and asked if they could possibly track it, they tried and after a period of time informed me they were unable to tell me where my precious parcel had disappeared to....
What to do?....I had a slight problem; I was the [proud?] owner of an old Harley that used to go, and now couldn't go, cause it was missing only one component. Everything else was ready. I began networking throughout NZ and finally got put onto a Harley shop that could supply and build me up a carb. They gave me the choice of two; either a nos M88, or an M51L. I chose the 51L. It arrived in due course and instantly was apparent that it was not quite right. So...I brought in from the States the components to rectify, and rebuilt my 'rebuilt' carb. Upon fitting it and firing the motor, there was no way I could lean out the idle mixture enough; transpired that the wrong idle needle was fitted; too short, having come outta a 741B Indian Scout carb. Once that was remedied, I could at last begin riding my scoot. Was better than prior to the rebuild, but still not quite right in my book...
Then...outta the blue I get an email saying my carb had been delivered. It had been used as a football, was beaten up, with an accompanying letter from NZ Post stating that the parcel had been Xrayed and deemed to be a dangerous item, subsequently quaranteened. This is months after I'd sent it, tried tracing it, given it up for lost, subsequently found and rebuilt a replacement.
The carb man in the States set about restoring the carb and sent it back to me. There was email correspondance between the two of us during this process, and shortly thereafter, I received a very nicely detailed M88 from Americe. [Hello old friend!!]
I have since fitted this carb, the bike is now a delight to ride, idles sweet, fantastic throttle response at any revrange, and has totally transformed the experience of riding this old heap.
Time went on and I finally received an invoice. Now...how many professionals [or anyone for that matter?] undertake first class repairwork and return item before they've seen the money? Seriously, this speaks volumes to my mind, heck, so many Americans won't even entertain the idea of selling eBay etc items to even Canadians [it's across the border- it's a foreign country- they're all out to scam us], let alone all the way down under in little old NZ.
Anyway, if you've got this far without falling asleep, you might wish to know who this wonderful carb man is. His name is Tom Cotton, he goes by the name of Cotton on this and other sites, and I sincerely endorse his methods and integrity. If you have a carb that requires attention, send it to the 'man', you will not be disappointed. [Just don't use NZ Post!]
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Re: Linkert rebuild

Post by Panhead Ed »

Yep Cotten is #1 kinda guy, a while back I sent him a very rare Schebler that even he hadnt seen before , as I recall he was excited to get his hands on it , I had it back and installed way befor he sent me the bill , and a totally fair one at that! The man does excellent work. Ed
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

SKIWI!---Don't ever believe the hype ,cause that's all it is!--Cotton is a straight-shooter in my book & has answered ?s that others would of just said --(bring it in & we will take care of it!)--A mind is a terrible thing to throw away ,BUT Beautiful to pick!.Glad your 45 is in the breeze again!---RICHIE 8)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Thanks Everybody!

Its the paint that makes them run good.
M88lft.jpg
....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harleych
Bikes: 42WLA, yamaha ybr 125

Post by harleych »

somewhere in Russia

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

hey that was lend lease, we want them back!

i'll take the green one, 4th right in on the top row.

john :D
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Well if we are calling "dibbs",...

All I want is the M 2.

....Cotten

Return to “Linkert”