Linkert Linkage pictures requested

Linkert related issues
amiabledave
Bikes: 1957 Panhead, First HD was a 1969 Sporster w/factory mag,

Linkert Linkage pictures requested

Post by amiabledave »

I'm requesting some clear pictures showing the Linkert and Cable hook up from the Carb to where it is first mounted to the frame. I searched this site and came up with some pictures of a modified throttle lever arm set up and not stock. I have a stock arm and an internal throttle grip.

It looks to me that the throttle cable should be perpendicular to the carb and not parallel....Thank you for your support.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Linkert Linkage pictures requested

Post by RUBONE »

It bolts to the tab on the frame right above the front pan. That is unless someone removed the tab.
amiabledave

Post by amiabledave »

I bought my bike 30 yrs ago and I Found a man that could repair my Original heads. So I took the STD heads off and shelved them and rebuilt the Linkert. Was running an S&S. That is where I have my Cable now, on the tab. I'm still in the process of putting it together and will need a new throttle cable, but It looks like the cable would flex before it would move the throttle arm with out a support.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Here's a few pics of what you need. The frame clip is 9983. The small tab clip is 56609-52. Trim the cover back from your new control coil so only the metal coil goes under the small clip. The control coil will be held firm with these two clips. There should be no real resistance at the Linkert's throttle arm anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

Dave,
Keep in mind that the original type throttle cables are pretty stiff with the solid wire inner. Also, unlike the S&S, the Linkert doesn't have that return spring to overcome so there's really very little resistance when the throttle wire pushes the linkage open.

Geo.

Good pictures from panhead-kicker!
amiabledave

Post by amiabledave »

Thanks for the pictures. How much of the throttle cable casing is passed the clip on the Carb side and how much of the solid core cable is exposed, would you say?
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

amiabledave wrote:Thanks for the pictures. How much of the throttle cable casing is passed the clip on the Carb side and how much of the solid core cable is exposed, would you say?
Amiabledave,
I can't recall the two lengths you ask for, and I cant see under my tank clearly enough to guess. I am thinking the information is in Palmers, as I went through my old posts and dont see where I got my information from originally. All the pics I sent you were just of pieces parts. thanks for not noticing the shovelhead sticking up!
If you dont have a Palmers let me know, and I'll review it tonight to find the info. It will be good to have it logged under one of my posts here for future reference anyway. Much easier to search here than a book!
amiabledave

Post by amiabledave »

No Palmer manual. I have the P.H. 48-57 RIGID Manual. Thank you for your time ...
amiabledave

Post by amiabledave »

Found this in the knowledge base https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/view ... =59&t=8447

I have a 60 motor in a 57 frame. Would this 1952 bracket work in my bike? I can fab one if it would.......
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Why are you trying to put something on there other than what belongs on it? The tab on the frame rail is correct. It was used for many years and superseded the clamp on the top motor mount because it worked better. Not as much bending and tension on the cable. The cable does not need support at the end. It only needs to point in the right direction and be kept from moving when the throttle is applied. The long unsupported end allows it to smoothly follow the carb lever during its movement. The more you restrict it, the poorer your throttle action will be.
amiabledave

Post by amiabledave »

RUBONE......
RUBONE wrote:The long unsupported end allows it to smoothly follow the carb lever during its movement.
amiabledave wrote: How much of the throttle cable casing is passed the clip on the Carb side and how much of the solid core cable is exposed, would you say?
Thank You for your time...
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

Dave,
Took a look in Palmers book for you, for your set up with the tab under the frame tube, after you have the coil routed where you want it and lined up with the clip, trim it about 1" past the mounting clip and you should be in good shape. I noticed that in 1954, the year before Harley went to the tab under the tube like you have, they used the old front brake control coil clamp (#9980) mounted on that same frame tube for a carb control coil mount. Yet another wrong option!

Geo.
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

old.wrench wrote:Dave,
Took a look in Palmers book for you, for your set up with the tab under the frame tube, after you have the coil routed where you want it and lined up with the clip, trim it about 1" past the mounting clip and you should be in good shape. I noticed that in 1954, the year before Harley went to the tab under the tube like you have, they used the old front brake control coil clamp (#9980) mounted on that same frame tube for a carb control coil mount. Yet another wrong option!

Geo.
Thanks for looking this up Geo.
Dave, as far as the solid wire, just let it protrude thru the throttle barrel a quarter inch or so at full throttle, and trim.

Return to “Linkert”