Linkert Altitude Adjustment

Linkert related issues
Tahoe Joe
Inactive member
Bikes: 1952 FL
1966XLCH

Linkert Altitude Adjustment

Post by Tahoe Joe »

Just before it starts snowing around here, I'm planning to haul my '52 Fl down to the lower desert and snowbird it for the winter. Where I live now is right at 6000 ft elev. and where we're going is basically sea level (and below that in some areas). The Pan has a Linkert (M-35/M-74 specs), solid lifters and a Sifton 468 - otherwise stock. It's pretty much dialed in for this altitude, seems always to run a little rich, but I don't want to lean it out too much.
When I get down there, should I look to readjust the low speed and see what happens?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Linkert Altitude Adjustment

Post by RUBONE »

Joe,
You say M74 spec. What do you mean by that? Did you put a fixed jet in it? If it is still the M35 type adjustable high speed (not just the M74 type "trimmer") you will have nearly infinite adjustment on it. And the low speed will just require a few clicks to get it idling right.
Robbie
Tahoe Joe
Inactive member
1966XLCH

Post by Tahoe Joe »

I dunno- I have to call the outfit that rebuilt it and check on the jet. The high speed knob is not the bent rod type so I'm guessing it's the M-35. Just as long as I can adjust it reasonably close I'll be good.
Thanks!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Joe, a normal M35 is all needle, so altitude is easy, a couple clicks and your there!
Robbie
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

JOE!----YOU WILL FEEL the DIRR., as you drop in altitude!---Simply turn the needle in direction where bike starts to run GOOD!--(Let bike run for 10min. before you pull-out!)--This way by the time you reach Grade,-It will be at normal Operating Temperature!---& will ADJ. Very EASILY!----RICHIE 8) ,--GOOD-LUCK & stay safe! :!:
Tahoe Joe
Inactive member
1966XLCH

Post by Tahoe Joe »

Thanks for the tips.........I'm tuned and running well here at 6000 ft. To explain things a little bit here; The main road I live on goes from around 4500 Ft. to just about 9000 ft. in about 17 miles. The difference in oxygen content and air density really isn't as much as the difference between sea level and, say, 4000 ft. I used to have that data but basically if you live at sea level and go up to 4000 ft. you'll notice a much bigger difference than if you're acclimated to 4000 Ft.+ and go up to 8000-9000 ft.
I think you're right that a couple of clicks should do it. The Linkert is pretty low-tech and probably not over sensitive.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Tahoe Joe wrote:..The Linkert is pretty low-tech and probably not over sensitive.
Tahoe Joe!

The Linkert design is "insensitive" in that it can be instantly adjusted around problems,
whereas a modern carb would require tedious trial and error to determine what size of jet to put where, etc.

Indeed, the Linkert design is downright "forgiving"!
However it is hardly "low tech":
Producing the critical and delicate idle bleed slot still confounds modern attempts, even with EDM techniques.

If your re-builder possibly converted the M-35 slot to M-74 specs, then he must be quite a watchmaker, too.

....Cotten

Return to “Linkert”