Linkert related issues
48grglvs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948 Fl Panhead
2007 1200 Sportster

Introduction and Help as always

Post by 48grglvs »

Hey guys,

I have been on the site for almost a year now reading a lot of the articles and getting tips and pointers from a lot of the work you guys have previously done on the site. I just registered as a member, finally, I don't know why it took me so long. But thank you for the acceptance. Anyways I wanted to first introduce myself and say that it is a pleasure to have found a place that is filled with so much knowledge and history. In the short 25 years I have been alive I have always been in love with motorcycles. Growing up it was always about being in the dirt, but since I was able to get a street license I have been putting around on sportsters. When i finally got a real job and could afford to invest some real money I bought a real bike, my panhead. It sat for about six months as I saved up for parts and began the tedious task of developing a vision. During this time period my best friend passed away, too young. I then found the energy and passion to kick it in full gear and really dissect the pan, and start rebuilding. The goal was to dedicate the build to his memory, hence the name, "George Lives". I was collecting parts for about a year and then I jumped in head first. I live in SoCal so I am an avid attendee at the LBC Sawp. I met some really cool guys who are completely old school that have helped me so much with parts and tips. I have listened to them talk for hours about stories on the road. I even was lucky enough to inherit some of their parts that they keep in their personal collections. Anyways I am putting the final touches on the bike and of course need some help with getting this beast back to life. So far I have encountered some issues. In this post I will start with the first.

I have a Linkert M53, and the throttle lever wont fit with the motor mount on my 48 pan frame. I am not used to the push throttle arrangement so figuring that out was a task in itself. I think I have my internal throttle working properly now, however getting the throttle to operate the carb is a different story. It looks as though I am also missing the tab for throttle cable stay. If anybody has any pointers here that would be amazing. Attached is a picture of the bike in its current state. I will get some other pictures posted of the carb and frame later.

Thanks all,

Dave
IMG_0561.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Introduction and Help as always

Post by 1950Panhead »

An M53 is a K model carb and uses a different throttle lever then a panhead.
Try to find a Panhead throttle lever and cable bracket.
Jerry
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Two things Dave. Well, maybe three!
First off welcome to the world of membership, glad to have you here.
As for the throttle lever, using one for an M74B will cure your clearance issue, they all interchange.
But why the M53? That is a sidevalve carb and the idle circuit along with other parts are not designed for the needs of the BT engine. An M74B will perform better, idle better, and be more correct for the bike. And if you are thinking the bullseye venturi is some magic performance trick, you are mistaken.
Robbie
48grglvs
Inactive member
2007 1200 Sportster

Post by 48grglvs »

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I actually listened to Pat from 45's unlimited. He talked me into the carb because he said it was a race carb, etc and would work great for my bike. So I guess he is sadly mistaken. I figured hes been doing this a long time and he restores old Linkerts so I bought in.

So I should be looking for a new carb?

P.S. its great to be here.

Dave
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

It is not a race carb, merely a standard carb for '52-'53 K models. Which are not exactly racers! And the KH which was much stronger running used an M53A1 that did away with the bullseye venturi in favor of the standard one. The bullseye helps on low speed acceleration but restricts the top end. And it will never flow as much air as an M74B. Don't forget that they were built for 45ci engines!
None of the Linkert "race" carburetors has a choke assembly in them. They are short bodied and internally different than any street carb.
Robbie
48grglvs
Inactive member
2007 1200 Sportster

Post by 48grglvs »

So I have a nice desk piece now. Any reference as to where to get a good rebuilt one? or should I try my luck on ebay? I'm not spending anymore money with 45's
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

Dave, there are plenty of linkerts around, sell yours and get a 74, They work well, good luck, Im in the middle of going through mine as well right now...and there is a lot of knowledge here , and a lot of good guys, Adam

Return to “Linkert”