Need a little M74 help.

Linkert related issues
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Need a little M74 help.

Post by 1964 pan »

My case of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is about to get the best of me.The main nozzle(27332-50) is pressed flush into the body of the carb? Correct? So. When I put the bowl on. The main nozzle retainer spring(27330-33) then lock nut gasket then bowl lock nut? What I want to be sure of. Where the main nozzle retainer spring goes it is the only part in that area. Is that as clear as mud?
http://linkertcarbs.com/linkertcarburetorparts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Need a little M74 help.

Post by RUBONE »

Be sure that when the nozzle is all the way up that the flat sides of the top of the nozzle engage in the recess in the venturi. That is then all the way up! Then yes, the spring against it held in place by the bowl nut sandwiching the bowl in place with the crush gasket. You have the sequence right!
Robbie
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

It has been awhile since I disassembled. I did not remove main nozzle. So I am good to go. It just looks strange with nothing but the spring in all that space. Thanks, Robbie.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

1964Pan!

Any stone left unturned hides something that can bite you.

It is prudent to completely disassemble, clean, and inspect everything.
The annular groove around the outside of the venturi often harbors dirt that has entered through the vent on the side of the carb.
Inspect also the nozzle's spigot where it enters the venturi, and its fit within. Wear and leakage at this interface greatly compromises the "accellerator sump" effect that the nozzle is designed to provide.
Inspect also for daylight around the venturi when re-installed.

Linkerts are quite forgiving,
but attention to these details can provide remarkable improvements for an assembly that has suffered decades of duty.

....Cotten

Return to “Linkert”