Linkert related issues
ridermike
Bikes: 1960 FLF
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Linkert Venturi

Post by ridermike »

Are the Linkert Venturi (m74b) that J&P cycles sell any good? Mine falls in the carb body and actually rattles. I am in need of one and they are quick. Also where do I get the durable 3 gram floats I keep reading about? I have a new Gary Bang that came with the kit but the Durable sounds like it is the best.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Mike!

Is the J&P venturi a new Colony aluminum one?
(I alerted Colony to the problem a few weeks ago.)

Unfortunately, aluminum cannot be swaged the way original potmetal ones can, so you would be best to return it.

And I cut the Durables myself, so please post me direct at liberty@npoint.net

Thanks,

....Cotten
ridermike
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Post by ridermike »

Cotton,
I was not clear on my last post. My OEM venturi is the loose one and was asking if the J&P was OK. I don’t know who supplies theirs I assume V-twin. The sale reps will not know so I will call their tech guys. What do you mean by swag? Is it like bell-mouthing, with say a large ball bearing and a good hammer? I will be in contact about the float.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Mike!

I have not inspected either V-TWIN's nor J&P's offerings; Colony has only recently produced a wide range of venturies.

A swage is a small screwpress with conical anvils that applies a controlled outward force upon the inside of the venturi. Usually it must be taken oversize and then lathe cut to a proper interference fit within the bore of an individual carb body. This allows for a wider area of contact, both fore and aft, rather than just rolling over the edge of the rear of the venturi.

A hammer and a ball bearing will most likely split the brittle metal, but you might get lucky.

The problem arises from the nature of die-cast potmetal. It is technically a super-cooled liquid, like window glass, and slowly crystallizes over the decades. Heat seems to be the culprit that causes shrinkage, and even a venturi that is swaged to a stiff press fit might shrink to a slip fit in a year's time, without even being subjected to the heat of service.

I was quite optimistic when I heard Colony was producing venturies, but dismayed to find that they apparently copied the dimensions of shrunken examples. Although I would have preferred potmetal so that individual bodies could be fitted perfectly, aluminum should prove more stable, once quality control takes over.

...Cotten
ridermike
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Post by ridermike »

Cotton
I spoke with the techs at J&P cycle and was told the venturi they sell is produced by V-Twin. He did not know nor could he find out until he actually phoned them, and then returned my call. I thought that was pretty good service, but I am still sending mine to you. Maybe V-twin’s are better than colony’s.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I am certain that Colony's will be dialed in near-perfect quite soon.

V-Twin distributes Colony parts, so I think we can look forward to them becoming the industry standard.

Thanks,

...Cotten

Return to “Linkert”