Parade Fan

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64FLH
Bikes: 1964 FLH

Parade Fan

Post by 64FLH »

Has anyone ever rigged an HD Parade Fan up to a Pan? There's some loose consensus among people using these fan things that the HD fan actually kinda works. I figure I've got 12V -- so I can rig it to sit where the horn power-pack usually sits. It's a bit larger in diameter and not exactly pretty. OK -- it's borderline ugly. Still, if it keeps the Pan cool during extended idling I won't have to worry about the rear head too much. I've got a vintage HD Stewart Warner Green Line CHT gauge, but I just can't bring myself to drill a damned hole in a head fin as per the instructions to install the original sensor. I'm hoping to figure out if a spark plug hole J type thermocouple will drive the old CHT gauge. In the mean time, I'm just guessing as to how hot the rear head is getting.
Billpan58
Inactive member
Bikes: 58FL
99M2Buell
89Sporty

Re: Parade Fan

Post by Billpan58 »

for 40 years i've been using my hand to check rear head temp going down the road. cant touch it time to take a break.
64FLH
Bikes: 1964 FLH

Post by 64FLH »

Billpan,

it's good reassurance that the hand-burn test can be trusted as a overtemp gauge! I had worried when my rear head got about that hot that it would already be too late. Don't want my valve seats to come loose. Good to know that this catches it before any damage happens. I'm still gonna try and rig a parade fan -- I figure that might buy more time while caught in gridlock traffic.

Thanks!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

I have no experience with the H-D fan,
(only a schoolbus windshield fan for a WLA,)

But there is strong evidence that the front head runs hotter than the rear.
(I have a thermal imaging photo of a modern machine somewhere.....)

.....Cotten

Return to “Accessories”