rear crash bar /bag install questions

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
radarv
Bikes: 1949 FL,2005 FLSTSC

rear crash bar /bag install questions

Post by radarv »

I have questions on how the rear crash bar on a 49 mounts. It looks straight forward but for the life of me I cant get it to fit. I assume it mounts to the fender mounting brackets on top, the bottom large hole on the rear wheel frame casting???? also I am trying to figure out where exactly the bag mounting plate goes on the rear fender. I want to pre drill & fit everything prior to painting. any advice & or pics would be appreciated. thanks in advance, radar
speedking1949
Bikes: 49 FL

Re: rear crash bar /bag install questions

Post by speedking1949 »

Hi Radar:

I found that my rear crash guard would not fit perfectly either. I ended up with about 1/2" gap between the top mounting tabs on the guard and the topmost fender mount bracket. However, having a bit of extra space here can be useful, especially if you are running helper springs for the seat because the bracket for the helper springs mounts to the same location. I used stainless steel nuts as spacers and everything seems to look and work fine - for a machine that will never be subjected to AMCA judging.

It's worth some careful thought before drilling your fender for the bag mounts. OEM accessory bags were intended to be supported from underneath by the crash bar and were fitted with rubber pads where the bag contacted the bar. This was a good idea as, otherwise, all of the weight of a loaded bag would have had to be born by the sheet metal of the fender valance. You want to make sure that you drill the holes so the bag will be at the right height to sit properly with the crash guard, so it probably makes sense to mount the plates to the bags and fitting the bag/plate assemblies to the fender to mark holes for drilling. Obviously, a lot depends on what kind of bags you are fitting. Be careful too that you don't drill holes so that they foul the bracket on the left side of the fender which houses the tail light wiring. The Palmer book contains many photos showing machines that were drilled at the factory and those pictures are probably the best place to start.

Good luck!

Richard
radarv

Post by radarv »

thanks, speedking. the bags I'm using are oem .I belive they are called "speed king" leather bags. does the crash bar mount to the large hole on the bottom of the rear wheel casting? thanks, radar
Last edited by radarv on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Don't know if this will help. It is my 51 Pan. Not certain if bar is correct for the year.
Dale
rearcrash.jpg
rearcrash.jpg (305.44 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
radarv

Post by radarv »

51 hog, thanks thats what I was looking for. Its the same bar I'm using. mine is a repop thats why I belive I'm having trouble. j&p says that bar is for ridigid big twin frames up to 1957. speedball, I do have the helper springs for the buddy seat. I am going to insall them but for now I think I will run a solo seat. I dont have that palmer book, but I think I may look into getting that. thanks again guys. is this site great or what! not many guys around here anymore that know much about this stuff . regards, radar
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The rear crashbar is the same for all rigids and fits '37-'57. The only different one is the radio type (Also Big Bertha in '57).
The top mound DOES NOT fit flush to the fender but is instead intended to fit over the other hardware. The fender bolts go in from the underside and have washers and nuts on the U-clamps. If no helper springs are used a spacer goes on the bolts as well as washers before and after the crashbar ending witha final nut.
Robbie
55PAN
Bikes: 1982 FLHC

Post by 55PAN »

radar,

I used to own a 48 pan that I installed a V-Twin rear crash bar on, (most of J&P parts are just re-packaged V-Twin parts). The bottom holes had to be enlarged, made oval so as to allow the top tabs to attach closer to the fender. If you are running the original style 6-volt battery, it will not fit if the crash bar is too far forward.

Bruce
Attachments
48 Pan 10.jpg
48 Pan 10.jpg (488.71 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Old Dude has a rear crash bar mount to fender kit with everything you need (parkerized). Correct bolts, nuts, spacers and washers.
Palmer has the correct order in which to install the spacers and washers between the crash bar and the fender.
The large bolt on the right side frame for the crash bar is spaced different from the left side
for clearance.

Jim
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

I don't know how well you can see this picture how the crash bar is mounted to the fender but it is spaced using special washers, spacers and nuts.
Attachments
Picture 104.jpg
Picture 104.jpg (488.92 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
radarv

Post by radarv »

robbie, bruce,& jim. thanks for the pics & info. this helps me out a bunch. I am kind of going at this build blind. I am greatfull for the help. bruce that is an awsome "48". I have a softspot for springers. I ride a "05" springer classic for my daily rider. thanks again guys. regards, radar

Return to “Accessories”