Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
51elpanchop
Inactive member
Bikes: 51 EL Pan,
02 FLHRCI,
07 FLHX

Tool Pouch Suggestions

Post by 51elpanchop »

Being that my Panhead is a rider and not original I have been giving a lot of thought as to mounting the tool pouch. As previousl stated, the "51" motor is on a "58" frame. I believe The stock tool pouch for that era was the box located on the right side under the oil bucket. I can't use that set up with the Shot Gun pipes I'm running so at this point I decided to mount it here.

The more I get use to it the more I like it. I will not mount it on the front end but would appreciate any other tool pouch suggestions.

Rob
Underdoggie
Bikes: 1965 FL
1974 Honda XR75
1975 FXE
1975 Honda CB 750
1995 FXSTC
1999 FLHTUI

Re: Tool Pouch Suggestions

Post by Underdoggie »

Hey whats that little gizmo going from the frame to the primary for?
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

His oil tank does not have the mounting tab for the inner primary top mount, so this is needed to support the primary.
51elpanchop
Inactive member
02 FLHRCI,
07 FLHX

Post by 51elpanchop »

PanPal wrote:
His oil tank does not have the mounting tab for the inner primary top mount, so this is needed to support the primary.
Your exactly right!
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

51,The problem with that location is the chainguard will kick the shit out of your tool roll, and the chrome will take a beating as well, How about behind the front wheel on the front of the frame?...Mike
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

After a while, it will start to sag from the weight of the tools. I made two u-shaped metal straps to mount inside the bag to help the bag keep its shape when I had one mounted like that.
51elpanchop
Inactive member
02 FLHRCI,
07 FLHX

Post by 51elpanchop »

From that angle it looks as if the tool pouch is right on top of the Chain guard but there is 4" of cleareance. However, all points are taken and I am concerened about the sagging from the weight of the tools. I have a minimum amount of tools in there now and have rode 350 miles w/ this set up but I don't want to limit my tool carrying capacity too much. I like the idea of the U shaped metal straps for this style tool pouch. I could get rid of the Shotgun pipes but they sound too good! Mike, I may end up going w/ your idea behind the front wheel on the frame. I ran it there during the pre-rbuild yrs. 95-01...Thanks for your input guys!

Rob
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Rob, is that the top of a passenger peg I can see on your bike? If so, then my current setup may not work for you. I used to run a leather pouch where yours is but it didn't stay looking good for long so I mounted an early H-D tool box on my genuine Panhead frame. Although I don’t run a hydraulic rear drum I wanted to retain the original brake line mount so I cut an accommodating slot in the back of the tool box. Below the box you can just see the bottom of one mounting bracket I made and the other end is obviously bolted to the back of the box. Another mounting bolt runs through the box and through a reinforcement gusset that I had welded to the downtube after the frame cracked many years ago. Eric

51elpanchop
Inactive member
02 FLHRCI,
07 FLHX

Post by 51elpanchop »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I haven't been on in a few days. Your set up is exaxctly what I want to run. I like the Black too but yes, that is the rear passenger peg and I played hell trying to keep the OL happy when riding with me and she hardly ever rides on the back of the Pan when we got the two baggers. That is the 3rd spot I've had the pegs on. Should have just put a luggage rack on her with no pegs lol.
66 Shovel-Pan
Inactive member
Bikes: 50FL "The Kitchen Pan"
66FLH Shovel-Pan
some injuns and other shovels

Post by 66 Shovel-Pan »

A piece of 3" copper pipe (or whatever fits your pouch) will keep the shape and you can squish it to change the look. That in conjunction with straps and you can carry anything that will fit. I guess PVC would work as well, but I prefer the copper.

Return to “Accessories”