Windshield options

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Servantnot
Inactive member

Windshield options

Post by Servantnot »

Shopping for beaded period type windshield W / colored lowers for 1958 servi-car. My question is this. NOS should be correct but may be an inferior product that easily scratches. OEM is just a legal term. Replica may not be exact copy and may or may not have modern and more advanced scratch resistant materials. I do not know if original factory equipment is or is not any longer available. I don't want to end up with something incorrect and or inferior that I am not going to be able to see through by the time summer rolls around. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks...Dave
jed

Re: Windshield options

Post by jed »

If you going to ride it often, go modern lexan replica. If it's going to be a showpiece, go NOS.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

I'm looking for a windscreen for my 51FL. I looked at the offerings of some of the big suppliers and was not too impressed. Anybody know a good source??

King
Servantnot
Inactive member

Post by Servantnot »

The following is a reply from NOSPARTS to my query...Anybody, agree or disagree with their prospective. I cant be the only guy that ever wanted to put a windshield on a servi-car or Hydraglide. If this is correct maybe it is sage advice but it seems to me that buying anything, one nut and bolt at a time, piece by piece, bracket by bracket, is going to result in some mighty unfavorable consumer economics from the purchasers standpoint. I do have a parts catolog and we are talking a lot of components. All comments are welcomed...Dave

Hello.

I doubt that you will ever find a complete NOS windshield, the best you can hope for is to find a used one at a swap meet or perhaps eBay.
So if you want new, you will need to get a parts catalog and try to find all the individual pieces.

Tom./
dave51fl

Post by dave51fl »

Hi Guys

I too have been looking for a windshield for my 51 FL.
I've had a look at the after market ones and they just dont seem right.
I've been hunting around on ebay and other internet sights but nothing seems to come up.
I guess we'll just have to keep looking.

Cheers
Dave
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Did anyone check with 'Throttlemasters' from Chicago ??

Throttle Masters

Ebay store Maintained by: gnlemont( 5454)
New, used, NOS, rebuilt & quality reproduction parts including Vintage & Antique parts for older Harley’s. Custom Accessories for Harley / Chopper of any breed. Collectable Memorabilia: true enthusiast, 1st time buyer & everyone in between.

Might be worth a look.. I've seen windscreens, they have em,
But I wasn't looking too close at them.. I have a good one for my rig..

Which will likely see use this winter, since I pulled outta Fla...
Gearbox
Inactive member

Post by Gearbox »

What about the one they sell in J P cycle ? I was looking at that one ,now I'm not sure , it says 49-59 replica windshield Part # 750-102,I wouldn't know the diff.. I've never been into windshields ,but plan to put one on the Pan down here because of the sand thats kicked up for the cages. Sleeper you pulled out of our sunshine state? Hope every thing is OK for ya.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Very little of the modern shield' hardware, such as from National, is equal to the originals.

'Software' from National, meaning the beaded cellulose acetate windows, are excellent. V-TWIN, however, commissioned the only "peaked" shields from National and offer them exclusively. (J&P might list them also, as they supply from V-TWIN.)
Colony makes excellent fasteners.
Your best option for a correct shield is to recondition an original with these replacements.

....Cotten
Servantnot
Inactive member

Post by Servantnot »

What a great forum and wealth of knowledge contained here. Thank you for the kind advice everyone. I feel much better informed know than before I asked for assistance. Cotton, I was hoping you would jump in here. Although, it sounds like something that I should be looking for, still unsure just what it is, that a "peaked" windshield, is. Perhaps you could elaborate? Thanks again...Dave
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets »

49-59 upper section was more pointed at top than 60 and later
jed

Post by jed »

link to gnlmonts 49-59 upper peaked windshield... the one I bought. Not a bad word to say about it! They also carry the adjustable window in different colors and the '60 and up top shield. The only clear sides piece I could find at the time was HD-NOS from nosparts out of Florida on e-bay. I originally bought a junky windshield with all the hardware, and replaced all of the plastic one piece at at time. I like my windshield. October and November in Michigan almost demands one.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Whats-up guys--I am a glazier by trade,as far as windshields go ,i can tell you any plastic,lexan,plexi,etc. Will scratch as soon as you wipe it!,there is a little known thing you can do for this problem! After you order your shield,it can be sent-out to have it MARGUARD! This is a process that plexi,lexan,acrylic,etc. is put through to prevent scratches & dig this gouges! Does it work? YES! This is the same stuff that the DOT uses on trains,planes,buses,etc. If you ever get on a train you can see the stamp in the corner!Heres the suck-part its not cheap! To have a shield done will run you about $120.00!U.S. There are a few shops out there that offer this service,just look-up on the web. Another solution is using 3/16 bent-glass,plate ofcoarse,send your old shield so they can get the radius & proper locations for the holes! The holes will be bigger to accept a rubber grommet,when alls bolted-up you now have a tempered glass shield. I know what your thinking,incase of emergency its a mess! & your right when tempered blows it blows,I dont care what thickness it is! Tempered glass is under alot of pressure,you can beat it with a hammer in the middle & it wont break,but just rap the edge with a ring on your finger & BOOM-its gone! I hope I shed a little light on the subject-if all your doing is showing-a regular plastic shield is fine! If you use your bike all the time as I do I did the Marguard coating,& no scratches in the last 4yrs. since I did it.
ernietrucker
Bikes: 1957 Hydra Glide
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

The National looks nice, but where can you find the bottom piece in red?
rmcrh
Bikes: 86 FXRP Sidecar
76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

Post by rmcrh »

"Function versus Form."
I used a Windvest on our 46 U L and was very pleased. Had an opportunity to trade with RRHAWG on his 65 on our way to The Great Indian versus Harley Race in Yosemite ( great time, Harley won, high compliments to organizers) The 65 has a National Replica which is very poor in fit and noted a great difference. The Windvest was by far superior,have ridden in extreme rain works great I found them to be very affordable on E Bay
Again "function versus form"
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Post by neilw »

Erneitrucker , I looked for a red bottom for several years and so far found none..
Hope you have better luck than I have had
Neil

Return to “Accessories”