Half-moon saddlebag mounting plates

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Half-moon saddlebag mounting plates

Post by 57pan »

I just bought a set of saddlebag mounting plates from NOS Parts and they don't fit the hole pattern in my fender. I'm pretty sure that the fender I bought for my 57 is correct (it has the smooth skirts on the sides). It's an original fender, not a repop.
When I measure the distance between holes in the fender they are evenly spaced at 3.25 inches. The mounting plates that I received from NOS measure 3.18, 3.62, 3.18 between the holes.
I've got too much $ in the fender and the paint to be redrilling the fender to match the plates. Anyone have any ideas?

(edit)
I should add that although this is the first time that I bought anything from NOS they seem like a great place to deal with. I received the order only a couple of days after I placed it and they respond to emails right away. They have offered me a refund, but I just want to find out what the problem is with my fender.
Cotten

Re: Half-moon saddlebag mounting plates

Post by Cotten »

Your original fender was probably drilled for contemporary aftermarket bags, like Buco. Or maybe even Indian!
Your alternatives are to either poke new holes, or make your own plates.
dirtpandan58
Inactive member

Post by dirtpandan58 »

I had the same problem. I bought aftermarket mounting plates from my local dealer and the holes didn't line up. He had a set of bags with the mounting plates on them hanging on the rack and those would have worked, but I didn't want the bags. Had him and me baffled. Come to find out mine were Buco like cotten said. The only way I found that out was to see a set on ebay. They even had the same Pat. # that was on the old broken rusted ones that I've had for many years and wanted to replace. So that's probably what you need to do is keep yiur eyes peeled for a set of Buco mounting plates. If you want, I'll go look at the number and measure the bolt patturn to see if that's what you need.

Dirt
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Hi guys - I'm chasing a set of the Buco mounts, so if you still have your ones and you want to move them on, please let me know!

Cheers,

S.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

The Paughco catalog shows two different sets of mounting plates and they give the dimensions between the holes for each set. One set that they show is the one that I would need and the other set is like the set that I got from NOS.
Called Paughco to order the correct plates and they won't have them available until Aug. 20.

Return to “Accessories”