Composite Saddle bags. Years Used please

What years were either the Black or White composite "Kidney" style saddlebags used?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sausage

Composite Saddle bags. Years Used please

Post by Sausage »

Hello:

What years were either the Black or White composite "Kidney" style saddlebags used?

Thank You again.
62duoglide

Re: Composite Saddle bags. Years Used please

Post by 62duoglide »

The Royalite bags were first introduced in '54. They came in black only, with the "speedball" trim pieces. They changed the trim to the "Star-Trek" emblems in '58. Somewhere in there they added the white bags. They were available until '63 with the "jet" profile trim. . In '64 they introduced the fiberglass bags. Hope this helps,... 62 DuoGlide
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

62DuoGlide:

Thank You so much!

I really like the Royalite saddlebags alot. Preferably in Black.
There is a pic on page 5 center top of a 1962 Duo-Glide in Black or possibly Navy with the Black Royalite bags and front disc brakes and two arcing saddlebag braces. Absolutley Stunning!

Shown below is a 1963 FLH example with Headlight Naccel, Signal Lights, and in my opinion a subtle amount of the color white on the top on the Tanks and grips of which seems to compliment the Black very well.

Do you have signal lights on you 1962 Dou-Glide? If so, factory offering or after market?

Thank You again!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

The white Royalite bags were introduced in 1959.
Sausage - you will find Greg Fields books on Panheads an invaluable source of information.
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

I'm searching for a set of the Buco hard bags that have the two lights set into the rear of each bag. Very Buck Rogers!
Have seen a couple on eBay including a mint set that I missed due to the timing of a flight back to Australia in December...grrrr
They mount similarly to the kidney bags I believe.
I'll need them to carry tools at the rate I'm going!
62duoglide

Post by 62duoglide »

Sausage said : There is a pic on page 5 center top of a 1962 Duo-Glide in Black or possibly Navy with the Black Royalite bags and front disc brakes and two arcing saddlebag braces.
Yeah Sausage, that's my '62. It's black, and it has re-pop bullet lights. They are just running lights and not used for signals. I prefer hand signaling, although newer riders think I'm waving to them. The rear bullets are dual filiment and I have them wired to the brake light, effectively brightening my stops. I also run a pair of bullets under the seat that come on during braking also.
I'm in the process of restoring a set of Royalites and will have them for sale in a couple of months.
Panheads Forever ! 62DuoGlide
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

yeah, I've got these royalite saddlebag, they were in a very bad condition; most of the job have been done with...an hairdryer to reform the shape and some fiberglass for holes.
suicideshovel65
Multiple K models

Sausage,

Yep, they're the ones! Thanks for the heads-up.
I've emailed the seller to see if they'll ship overseas.
I'm actually after a set with more conical lenses, but these will do as a starter set, as I reckon the other lenses will be available elsewhere.

Cheers,

S.
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

Durnit SS65! let's not get into a bidding war on those bags, they would really look sweet on my '64! I've got a great set of the square edged glass bags, but those ones linked look really slick.
suicideshovel65
Multiple K models

I like'em because they're Buck Rogers - really '50s type style, which is where I'm trying to take my Pan custom at the moment. I'd paint 'em gloss black, which is why I don't mind the paint on these.
Message me if you really are going to bid on them though - I haven't had a response on whether or not the vendor will ship internationally or not yet.

Cheers,

S.
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

I/M sent, if he won't ship overseas, I (or somebody else here) will hook you up.
If anybody here needs the 64 to 80? fiberglass bags, there is a guy with a fiberglass shop in the same complex as my shop who makes them for a reasonable price, white, black, painted, whatever. you provide your own hardware. (available from the usual sources). the bags can be as original, heavy fiberglass, or even carbon fiber. they are exact match, he used my original bags to make the mold.

Return to “Accessories”