saddle bags value

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
65panryder
Inactive member

saddle bags value

Post by 65panryder »

My 65flh has hard bags like a shovel and I think they have correct hardware for year looking at several books and such.But what is a set worth with all good stainless hardware and support bars to mount then to fender struts as well ,glass is good except lids drilled for king of the road trim .I have a guy asking hard and with such persistence on his part I might be tempted but do not want to be taken either.
65 Eric
Inactive member

Post by 65 Eric »

Hey 65panryder, I also have a 65 FLH and while looking in the J&P catalog for hard bags I was surprised to see the whole set-up would cost me around $600.00! (aftermarket of course) I would like a set but not at that price. Sorry I can't tell you what your bags are worth but I bet someone here has a pretty good idea.

Eric
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Saddle Bag Values

Post by captainharley »

Check out what they go for on eBay. I think '65 up to around '80 something are about all the same. Except for some mounting bracket differences maybe. AMF/Ride Safe
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

'63 through '65 had "flat-bottom" design with inboard indents. They were composed of a fibrous fiberglas that looks like matted curls of hair.

"63-'64 had the lid weatherstripping stapled to the bags, whereas '65 (occasionally orange interior) had the weatherstripping glued within the lid.

I know of no stainless hardware upon them; locks were chrome; rivets and clips appear cad, as were the support brackets.

'66 had similar hardware and construction, but the bottoms were rounded. Sometime thereafter the fiberglas matting changed to modern. Latch locks changed to cabinet-style in '70.

.....Cotten
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Post by captainharley »

Wow Cotton, I thought I knew a little about Harleys. I guess I was right!
Thanks for the info.

AMF/Ride Safe

"To some people 'Freedom'...
is just another dirty word."
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

What I don't know is when in '63 the bags first appeared, or the current market value.

I had two sets stolen on a deal gone sour by a dirtbag doing business as TMC("Too Much Cash") in Peoria, Ill. (I offered him a set for his '64 to have a set for my wife's '65 painted. He decided he would just keep them all.)

Tedd's repops traditionally never interchanged with even later real ones: supports won't fit real bags, lids don't match, etc.

....Cotten

Return to “Accessories”