Saddlebag question

Anyone know where I can find some documentation on this?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64DUOGLIDE
Inactive member

Saddlebag question

Post by 64DUOGLIDE »

I have most of the Panhead books...I believe I read in one of them (or I dreamed the whole thing) that the 63 and 64 models were available with the royalite bubble bags (in addition to the more modern bags) that had the rocket emblem instead of the delta...I can't seem to "re" find it in any of my books. Anyone know where I can find some documentation on this?

Thanks
63 KCPD
Bikes: 1963 Harley Davidson FL Police Special

Re: Saddlebag question

Post by 63 KCPD »

Don't know about factory stock, but in the 1963 H D Rider Accessory Catalog the bubble bags offered have the rocket ship emblem. For Duo-Glides, you had to order individual saddlebags at $26.50 ea. and the saddlebag carriers at $11.75 for the pair.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

64's are known for their flat-bottomed fibreglas bags with the weatherstrip stapled to the bag instead of the lid.

...Cotten
Fixman
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by Fixman »

In the H-D book "The Legend Begins," the only thing I could find for both 63 and 64 is a note that says "Black Fiberglass Saddlebags and Carrier may be substituted for White at no extra charge."
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Looking over my books, I found 62 and earlier Duo-Glide order forms list Plastic saddlebags, meaning the Royalites. 1963 and 64 forms list fiberglass bags. I've always thought the 63 and later Pans had fiberglass bags. Parts books show the component parts for Royalites as ending in 1962.
VPH-D
64DUOGLIDE
Inactive member

Post by 64DUOGLIDE »

For what it's worth...

According to How to restore your Harley Davidon p.478, '57-'59 Royalites were offered with a 'Jet' emblem. In 1963 the fiberglass Pak-King Duo-Glide bags were introduced. However, the third version of the Royalite bag was also introduced with a stylized rocket emblem on its side for '63-'64 Duo-Glide models. So earlier versions had the jet and the last version was the rocket.

Return to “Accessories”