Frame/Battery/Oil Tank Cover With 1965 Buddy Seat

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
azpaul50
Bikes: *

Frame/Battery/Oil Tank Cover With 1965 Buddy Seat

Post by azpaul50 »

The 1965 is close to ready for presentation. We had our big run here this weekend and it got a lot of good comments with about half of the changes made. I haven't been around the forum lately, trying to get changes done. I finally got that windshield onto the sidecar. If anyone reads the Thunder Press (Western US), there'll probably be mention of the bike in the May or June edition covering Yuma's annual Prison Run. Riding around with that sidecar was a real hoot! Meanwhile, I want to get the bike all done before posting pictures here. I don't want to disappoint you guys after all the good advice and help. Meanwhile, here I am with another question. The bike still has a solo seat and I just scored a great super soft, black/white buddy seat for it. Meanwhile, I had also planned for a ribbed frame cover over the battery and oil tank. I am wondering if the cover will work with the buddy seat due to the fold down helper springs or will the cover interfere at the back? Seems like occasional ads for this cover say solo seat in the titles. The cover on my '63 works either way but the '65 cover is entirely different in the pictures. There were like 12 shovels and 1 pan here from the Victor Mclaughlin Motorcycle Corps here this weekend but none had buddy seats and the members didn't know? Anyone got a buddy seat on their '65 with this frame cover or would it be a waste of time to get one? The darn things ain't cheap! As always, thank you! - AZP
azpaul50

Re: Frame/Battery/Oil Tank Cover With 1965 Buddy Seat

Post by azpaul50 »

Been staring at the photo gallery for '65s and maybe I broke the code! Of the 3 bikes with covers, it appears that the springs come down in the middle of the cover. BUT, that's where two holes are on the cover which I thought were for the hold down knobs like my '63. If I bolt the spring ends through those holes, it looks like it might work although messin' with the cover later becomes a bit awkward. Is that how it is supposed to go? - AZP
azpaul50

Re: Frame/Battery/Oil Tank Cover With 1965 Buddy Seat

Post by azpaul50 »

I spoke to a guy in Indiana last night who knew exactly what the problem was. I was right by saying that the cover holes were intended for the helper springs. In fact, the confusion came to light some years ago when V-Twin produced a repop cover for this application with the premise that the holes were intended for knobs. Knobs were even part of their kit which added to the confusion since there aren't any hold-down posts or rods to use the knobs with (like on my '63). Those kits were pulled from the market or at least not produced for a second manufacturing run. I suppose it could still be used but the knobs would just be extra parts. In any case I scored a NOS OEM ribbed cover so I'm back on track. Those red barnfind '65 photos in the gallery are becoming more and more useful. Once again, Hydra-glide.com saves the day! - AZP

Return to “Accessories”