Mounting 56 Inner Primary Cover

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Mounting 56 Inner Primary Cover

Post by Ohio-Rider »

I've been running a 3" open belt on my 56FLH and decided this year to go with a 1.5" belt and put the covers back on it. I bought a inner primary mounting kit and need a little help. Anybody got a photo of the inner cover assembled to engine?

1)-Do I really need the gasket between engine and cover?
It seems to fit better back at the oil-tank mount with-out a gasket.

2)-Are the 3 spring clips(they look like butterflys) for the 3 engine bolts needed?

3)-Is drilling vent holes in outer cover really needed?

4)-How many differant reinforcment rings are avalibible?
The one I ordered has a differant bolt pattern than my engine.
Thanks in advance.-Steve
VT

Post by VT »

1. Yes, even though Bill Kennedy told me I was the first person to ever ask for, and buy that gasket for the motor/inner cover. Cut a slot section out of the bottom, so sprocket shaft oil loss will go between the inner primary and the motor and not wind up in the interior of the inner primary.

2. Yes, kep the clips. Directional though, look at how they're drawn in the Spare Parts Catalog. Install as shown

3. Not for an 1.5" belt in a tim primary. Look in J&P or V-Twins catalog. Find a support ring for '36-54, I think. Then the other one is '55-up, maybe.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Hey Thanks, Thats a great idea about cutting a slot in the gasket. I would never have thought of that one. Now I'm glad I asked what I first thought to be a silly question.

After looking it over again I can see another reason to install the gasket. With out the gasket the transmission oil-slinger is setting inside the inner cover. That can't be good. With the gasket installed it sets just outside of it.

Man ya really got to watch the small things or they can come back to bite ya. I'm just so close to finishing this thing that sometimes I start to cut corners. I'm slowed back down now though.-Steve

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”