Primary swap

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
choprjohn

Primary swap

Post by choprjohn »

Hi: Im building a panhead using evo parts, im wondering if its possible to mount an outer diamond primary to a softail primary. Can it be done? Also any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanx Chopr
sleeper

Re: Primary swap

Post by sleeper »

Welcome man, I don't see "The Big Picture"
Please elaborate...
Choprjohn

Post by Choprjohn »

Hey Billl; The big picture is, i rode a 50 pan chopper for 30 years till my back & leg went south if you know what i mean....lol, any way i built a softail chopper with shocks & a "electric" foot.....lol. I miss the pan,sooooo im adding parts for the pan look,& the finishing look would be adding a tin primary to the inner stock softail 5 speed primary,& am looking for advise as to how it might be accomplished. WHEW! thats the most i typed in a while. Anyway sorry I rambled THANX Chopr
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I understand about the back & leg....
I was meaning the use of a evo inner primary. But you have an evo that you're dressing like a Pan.
I doubt that those 'diamond primary outers for 65 & later will fit evo's, likely different bolt patterns.
Might try J&P cycles tech dept.
They may be more help on a evo in Pan's clothing.
I know xzotic has those fancy pan wanna-be covers & stuff like that. Sorry, I can't be of more help.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I used a diamond tin on my rigid pan with a late model 5-speed (also a new S & S 90" Pan motor) and an electric start. It is not easy and I doubt that the tins will bolt up to the evo motor. You will also have to convert to belt drive and get a TechCycle electric start kit. Big bucks, big work, big comittment to the bike! If you are a good welder with TIG and have access to machine tools, you can do it but not simple!
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

The inner tin primary absolutely will NOT even be close to bolt to an ~evo~ which has a stator/alternator the size of the TIN primary at the motor. & evo inner primaries bolt on totally different from mounting tabs around the outside.
If you're building a Pan using evo parts. then it's NOT a Pan. Surprised Sorry...

Stuffing a later trans behind a Pan/knuck/Flat is old news, & commonly done..
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Billy

Above you mentioned that a five-speed tranny could be installed in a Pan frame. Is this a complicated procedure and can one still retain the hand shifter?

thanks

King
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

King-
The swap does require some involved work. For instance using a "Sputhe 5 in a 4 speed box". The trans needs to be moved 5/8" to the right. So it needs a offset or custom plate. The stud for the 5th bolt has to be relocated, but since the plate is removable, that makes it easier. You have to weld up the old hole & drill & tap a new hole & weld the stud onto it. Using a kicker cover & also using the earlier clutch arm to keep a foot clutch requires some extensive modifications to the arm to go around the tranny cap. Fitting all this under a horseshoe oil tank is a little tight. But do-able.
Moving the trans to the right also means that the rear exhaust will NO longer fit under the trans & new custom pipes must be fabricated.
These are the hi-lights. There are a lot of little stuff that
also needs to be done. Belt drive, etc...
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello, I have been building a bike with a buddy, he machines I fab and weld. well all of what billy said is right on , but wait theres more........ they dont sell a true foot clutch arm made the way the pan is, so you get to cut half the spuths arm and slice it to the left side of the early arm and bend the hell out of it to get it make the throw right to disengage the clutch correctly. as you see in all the bike mags they dont use the early style tank as it is a pain, butt it can be done. If you use the cable(cheating) it will go much faster to fab up.
mbskeam
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Mbskeam, yeah a cable IS cheating!! ;D
That IS part of the extensive mod of the early arm, splicing it to Sputhe's arm, & bending it All up...

Another bit; As far as I know, Sputhe does NOT make a special 5 speed bearing support, but have used a 4 speed one, & had to bore it out for the 5 speed bearing, because the shaft on the 5 speed is cut down to a Metric size, & the 4 speed bearing does NOT work. Also had to space the bearing support out from the trans by 3/8". You may not need to.
This Is a nice set-up when done, & works very well.

Too complicated ? Depends on the person...
Interesting=YES ;D
http://www.sputhe.com/index.html
krazy loop

Post by krazy loop »

I never understood why someone would want to run a 5 speed instead of a 4 speed. In the city shifting all the time is a pain in the ass. For a while I ran a three speed and reverse and it was nice only having to shift twice up and down the entire range.

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”